Thread: I bought some books on Linux/Ubuntu(Linux Bible/Command Line....any recommendations?

Beans

I bought some books on Linux/Ubuntu(Linux Bible/Command Line....any recommendations?

Yeah, I bought some books on Linux, ....The Linux Bible from 2015(the new one probably won't be out till 2018 anyway), and the Command Line something or another Bible that looks similar, from Barnes and Noble on ebay,....and of course some computer security information to protect myself "Hacking for Dummies", cause I thinks something was done to my win 10 install on a static machine I use for cloud printing from a chromebook(I have to use a password where I originally set it out as no password and that worked for awhile till it was changed,.....by someone or something).

Anyway,....anyone have any recommendations for good books on Linux or ubuntu for a for a total beginner?.....The Linux Bible book covers 14.04 release of ubuntu,...likely the other "Bible" does too. I used to be a real good with MS DOS and other for apple(loosely), back in the day, real well, in fact, I now realize Linux is my kind of computing, I never did like how window was all laid out and took out the programming of the end user, ticked me off, and I had other things to do.

Are books the way to go, or do I have to find out real ins and outs by learning online? Probably a combination of both I figure. I was working on a free old compaq presario 5000 laptop, recently on these forums,...but that old thing is too low on built in video memory, I don't know why I didn't realize that, I used to realize these things some years ago. I do have an ubuntu 16.04 ultimate edition installed on an old 2004 computer with 512 mb video ram card I installed some years back, and 4gigs of ram, probably will install ubuntu alongside a win 10 installation on a 2012 desktop tower with an AMD 5400k dual processor setup, will likely build some newer computers and work over this ubuntu, ......the same kinds of activities I engaged in over twenty five years ago to thirty years ago, for various reasons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I bought some books on Linux/Ubuntu(Linux Bible/Command Line....any recommendatio

I'd say you have enough books to start with. Daily usage and online resources should complete the picture.

Re: I bought some books on Linux/Ubuntu(Linux Bible/Command Line....any recommendatio

Buy as many as you can afford and want.
    The info may become dated, but technique is priceless.
    B&N has some decent periodicals in the Magazine format that cover ranging topics from more the desktop angle than "under the hood".

I miss my MS-DOS 5.0 Installation and User Guide. It was my "bible" when I cut teeth in IT back in the mid '90s.
    If I ever see another one, I'd buy it.

When I installed Linux, I decided that "Linux is DOS on steroids" and I have never looked back.
    It got easier. It made more sense, for me. It just clicked.

I have Computer Books I may never read!
    My point is don't dismiss any publication based on Published Date or Version numbering nonsense.
    Those criteria, in my opinion, are secondary.

Peace.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not a support thread.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I like Linux Command Line by Shotts. Free PDF. Or, depending on your locale, hard copy at your library.