Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: 'dd' command is taking more than 3 days to wipe 320GB HDD

Hi,

I did run:
    Code:
    sudo badblocks -sv /dev/sda1
    Before that, I have created one partition (ext4) because it seems the commands I tired didn't work unless there is a partition.

It is working, I can see the progress but super slow. 6hours and 45mins so far and it is only 4.86% done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

At some point you have to decide whether to give up and get them to put their hand in their pocket.

Appears that you've been fiddling about with this drive for almost a week - perhaps the time has arrived

http://superuser.com/questions/24064...on-a-1tb-drive
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why not check the hard disk using the disk tool or disk utility, or whatever it is called? (I use the Dutch version of Ubuntu, in which it is called Schijfgereedschap).
    Then you see, if the disk supports S.M.A.R.T. immediately whether the disk is healthy or not (it is not, I bet).
    If I had a disk with 1400 bad blocks, I would ditch it. And: (mechanical) hard disks are very cheap these days (where I live).

Topsiho

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Hi,

I forgot to update this thread.

HDD is dead and they brought me new one and the machine is up and running now. They insisted to have Windows and I insisted to show them Linux so we agreed to dual-boot Windows 7 with Xubuntu 12.04.3

Thank you everyone!

P.S.
    There was another machine with a HDD that has lots of Bad Sector but I managed to use badblock to find the bad ones and never used it. The bad sectors are at the last 20GB of the HDD and it's been many weeks that machine is up and running. As for this HDD in this thread, it is dead. Nothing can be done. The first 20GB is fine but after that, there are problems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123