Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy text from PuTTY window

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Angry Copy text from PuTTY window

I'm a bit confused with PuTTY...
    How can I copy a text from PuTTY window, and paste it in a simple text file? I'm confused... Selecting the text and than Shift+Ins works, but only within the PuTTY session! When I try to paste the content in a simple text file, it doesn't.
    It's quite frustrating as for any terminal application out there this is probably the on of the very basic functions it should support. Am I missing some configuration here?
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Copy text from PuTTY window

Putty ... on MS-Windows?
    Last edited by TheFu; January 16th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.

Beans

you might consider maybe using screenshot, then retyping it, or maybe go download leafpad, gedit, or abiword and redo your putty projects on leafpad, gedit, or abiword...

Beans

also know that control+c and control+v never work in terminal, they have different uses there... right click copy right click paste is the only copypasta method available for terminal, atleast in ubuntu 12.4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Putty ... on MS-Windows?
    Seems almost any other forum would be a good place to ask that question. Doesn't seem related to Ubuntu in any way.
    I use putty all the time -- to log into my ubuntu server, when I'm at the office, or another public computer running some other OS. So rather than try to show off, I'll just answer the question.

Putty (or maybe windows -- I don't claim to understand the magic of it) automatically copies whatever you highlight into the clipboard. So you simply highlight something with your mouse, it gets magically copied, and then you can paste in the normal way, by right clicking, or ctrl-v.

Welcome to the forum. It's a generally friendly place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Right click on the bar at the top of the window and select Copy All to Clipboard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by silvervulpus View Post
    also know that control+c and control+v never work in terminal, they have different uses there... right click copy right click paste is the only copypasta method available for terminal, atleast in ubuntu 12.4
    Shift-Ctrl-C & Shift-Ctrl-V works, as does the primary selection (highlight text to copy, middle-click to paste).

What comes to PuTTY, the copy methods (like many other things) depend on the settings you are using, as PuTTY is able to emulate various different behaviours from different operating systems and terminal emulators.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It does not work for me... I select something from the console and than there's nothing copied in the clipboard. I also don't have the option Copy all to clipboard when I select windows menu. And yes, we're talking about PuTTY for Linux.
    Again, selecting the text from PuTTY and than Shift+Ins works, but only within the same PuTTY window. I cannot translate that to another application. I also notice today that this behavior is probably dependent on the console itself! For example I can use the Shift+Ins combination as described on a Cisco console, but than... the same does not work at all on a MikroTik console! Like I said... quite frustrating. Otherwise I like PuTTY, it's so lightweight and convenient... but this is really a blocking point. I have to find a way to copy text from the PuTTY....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lz1dsb View Post
    I have to find a way to copy text from the PuTTY....
    Select/paste text works extremely well with Linux-based terminals. Any desktop-Linux will do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Red face Re: Copy text from PuTTY window

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Select/paste text works extremely well with Linux-based terminals. Any desktop-Linux will do it.
    That was my expectation too It's kind of a standard feature for every terminal emulation application. Anyway - I'll make some screen shots these days and I'll post them here, to give you an idea of the issue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast