Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copy text from PuTTY window

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Copy text from PuTTY window

The old original X way to copy text was L.mouse to highlight, middle-mouse (or both L and R mouse buttons) to paste. In that case it does not even use the clipboard. However, middle mouse is often pressing down mouse wheel which might slip you to a different line in some apps or trying to press left/right mouse simultaneously does not seem to work for me (brings up right click menu).

So the MS Windows way for Linux would be to highlight text, right click to copy, then either Ctrl+V (in gui like gedit), or in a text terminal Shift+Ctrl+V or Edit > Paste (since Ctrl+V often has other meanings in terminal or non-gui text apps).

While I use PuTTY in Windows to connect to *nix systems, I have never used it within Linux because every system I am aware of includes an ssh client program by default.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lz1dsb View Post
    That was my expectation too It's kind of a standard feature for every terminal emulation application. Anyway - I'll make some screen shots these days and I'll post them here, to give you an idea of the issue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.
    If you are on a Linux desktop OS and still using Putty, then you ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Copy text from PuTTY window

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If you are on a Linux desktop OS and still using Putty, then you ARE DOING IT WRONG.
    Yes, I'm on a Linux desktop... What do you mean by that? Is there a better open source terminal application?
    I know I can start an ssh session directly from the terminal, but with PuTTY I could have sessions which are preconfigured... That's the idea behind using PuTTY.
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans

... fyi you can preconfigure terminal-based SSH sessions in a similar way using a ~/.ssh/config file

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lz1dsb View Post
    Yes, I'm on a Linux desktop... What do you mean by that? Is there a better open source terminal application?
    I know I can start an ssh session directly from the terminal, but with PuTTY I could have sessions which are preconfigured... That's the idea behind using PuTTY.
    Yes, You are doing it all wrong, at least it appears that way from here. Or perhaps I do not understand the reason putty is being used from Linux at all?

Linux is NOT Windows. This article tries to explain that a different thought process is needed to make the most of Linux/UNIX. A simple script or alias can replace all sorts of huge programs. Don't fight the Linux-way, learn it, use it, make the computer your bitch.

There must be at least 20 terminal apps in Linux - any of them are better with select/paste.
    Every terminal program supports customization. Fonts, sizes, foreground, background, whatever. I've been using pure xterms for almost 20 yrs, but understand that people newer to Linux use other terminals.

Learn about the ~/.ssh/config file to store sessions.
    Learn about ssh-copy-id to make remote ssh connections completely trivial. It is actually easier to be secure with ssh by using key-based credentials than fumbling around with passwords.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12