Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't install AMD Radeon R7 260X Graphics Driver on 13.10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't install AMD Radeon R7 260X Graphics Driver on 13.10

Quote Originally Posted by jweiner View Post
    I am just following the step-by-step indicated in the web link. I did run the .run file. After that, according to the step-by-step, one is supposed to issue the follwoing two commands. The first executes without error.

sudo ./amd-catalyst-13.11-beta\ V9.4-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

The second command produces the error,
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.11.0-15-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.251/build/make.log for more information.

The log indicates the following:
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.251/build/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:999:5: error: too few arguments to function ‘(acpi_status (*)(u32, void *, void *))handler’
    Well if the run file ran just fine there's no reason you need to build DEB files unless you're going to redistribute them. Usually, at least when I've used the files from AMD (even the most recent ones), the driver installs just by running the run file. The only time I need to pass other arguments is if it failed to install and I need to recompile the package with distro-specific files (newer kernel, beta version of Ubuntu, etc.).
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I recently bought Radeon R7 260X graphics driver and have tried to install the driver on my desktop PC running 13.10. It appears that the opensource drivers available do not include this model. I went to the AMD website and downloaded their proprietary driver that they claim works with linux-x86.x86_64.

The zipped file to download is amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-_64.zip. I unzipped it and followed the installation procedure indicated at wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Saucy_Installation_Guide#Removing_Catalyst. 2Ffglrx. When I tired to create and install the .deb packages, however, I got an error saying that the deb package build had failed. Now I don't know what to do. Is there an alternative method of installation? Are there alternative drivers that will give good 2D acceleration even if not providing all the 3D features?

Any advice about getting this graphics driver working would be greatly appreciated.
    So does this mean you've tried fglrx and it didn't work, then removed that and tried fglrx updates? I don't have your particular model, but I had to go with fglrx-updates to get my AMD Radoen based card to work correctly.

Just askin' - don't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The build for the .deb files fails (cf earlier posts to this thread), and since that is true and since I am only following a seemingly authoritative source (cf earlier copies-and-paste), I don't really know what I am doing, I don't know what to do now. Earlier attempts to reboot with the Radeon graphics adapter powered up have resulted in black or purple screens and the boot being stuck somewhere....impossible even to get to a console login. Right now I have purged all flgrx stuff that was installed via the run command on the downloaded package. I have rebooted with the on-board video turned off, and the Radeon card powered up. The boot process lead to the GRUB 2 menu. I suppose I need to fix something or edit something in GRUB 2, but I do not know what...so at the moment I am at the GRUB 2 menu awaiting further advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

there are all ready to install packages for those drivers. If you boot, can you ctrl-alt-F1 and get a terminal (text mode) login screen? If so, sign in with your normal userid and password (the password won't be echoed so nothing looks like it is going in but it is). After that, try the following:

sudo apt-get purge flgrx
    sudo apt-get pur flgrx-updates

don't worry if these return some message about no package found or some such thing.

then:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install flgrx

then reboot. If the error persists, log in again via a terminal and do the following:

sudo apt-get purge fglrx
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-uipdates

reboot and see if the problem is fixed. If not, stop at the grub screen, move (via arrow keys) to your normal ubuntu boot option but DON'T boot it. Instead, press the "E" key to edit the options. Arrow down to the line where you see "quiet splash" . Arrow over to just past "splash" and add a space, then the text "nomodeset" (without the quotes). Then press ctrl-x to boot using those options and see how that works.

post back any and all results and questions. Can't guarantee any of it will help, but it's worth a shot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

BTW - I'm going to be out for a while, but there are far more qualified people than me that can help you anyway. Just trying some of the things I had to do to get my card working.

Beans
    Distro

The build for the .deb files fails (cf earlier posts to this thread), and since that is true and since I am only following a seemingly authoritative source (cf earlier copies-and-paste), I don't really know what I am doing, I don't know what to do now. Earlier attempts to reboot with the Radeon graphics adapter powered up have resulted in black or purple screens and the boot being stuck somewhere....impossible even to get to a console login. Right now I have purged all flgrx stuff that was installed via the run command on the downloaded package. I have rebooted with the on-board video turned off, and the Radeon card powered up. The boot process lead to the GRUB 2 menu. I suppose I need to fix something or edit something in GRUB 2, but I do not know what...so at the moment I am at the GRUB 2 menu awaiting further advice.
    Try adding nomodeset to the end after where it says quiet for the Grub boot item.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK I will try nomodset and see what happens.

OK I edited the line to substitute nomodeset for splash. The system booted to the GUI...BUT the fglrx213.251-Obuntu1 is a bug report that came up on my web browser. "fglrx kernel module failed to build". The mouse seems to be behaving somewhat erratically although I don't know if that is related.
    Last edited by jweiner; January 16th, 2014 at 11:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You can check the log file (or use pastebin and post the link) and we can see why it failed to build. Sometimes its just a random dependency we need to download.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Did you try what I recommended? nomodeset was one of the last things there, but I also mentioned trying the 2 drivers for AMD/ATI cards. Only as a last resort should you need to download driver source from AMD and build it. The packages will do this all for you. Try them. If you have errors then, post back what those error messages are.
    Last edited by squakie; January 17th, 2014 at 12:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is a copy-and-’paste of some text in the bug report..."DuplicateSignature: dkms:fglrx:2:13.251-0ubuntu1:/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.251/build/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:999:5: error: too few arguments to function ‘(acpi_status (*)(u32, void *, void *))handler.

Link to the bug report is here, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1263471

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast