Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impossible to install Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Impossible to install Ubuntu 13.10

Hello all,

I cannot install Ubuntu, and don't find any solution.

I can run a live USB or CD, and Ubuntu seems to work well. Problems begin when i try to install Ubuntu. Installation is going well until i want manually create partitions. I can choose the size of / and /home, but when i try to check the little box in front of them to format the partitions, the installation freezes and i cannot apply the changes.

I have verifyied md5 sum and have tryied with an USB stick and a CD. Linux mint 16 has been installed without problem.

Do you know why that happens, and how to solve that ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Impossible to install Ubuntu 13.10

strange, you could try preformating them by running gparted in liveboot and then just perform the install without formating the drive.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

yeah, preformat them with gparted and set your mount and swap points and whatever partitions you want to add. Do this one process at a time though.

After you have the partitions how you want and you've set your mount points and boot flag, I have been able to use the desktop Icon to install as long as everything else was out of the way.

When the prompt asks if "you want to erase *** or install alongside ***", at the very bottom choose "something else". This lets you be absolutely sure that the OS only installs to the partition you want. From there it's pretty self explanatory.

Beans

Thank you very much for your help. I'll try that.

Beans

I have tried to run Live DVD on Kubuntu and Linux Mint KDE 13.10 and get the same results a blank screen. I get to 2nd menu/screen with Start..... options if I click on the Backspace key during countdown. I have also click on Tab during 2nd menu/screen and tried to add one of the modset=0 then when I Click on Ctrl+X it will not do anything. Clicking on Enter key is the only thing that will start the boot and then Blank screen with flashing cursor

I am running:
    Windows 8.1 Professional (x64) (build 9600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 10/18/2013 3:24:03 PM
    Boot Mode: BIOS

2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    768 kilobyte primary memory cache
    3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (6 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
    Board: 890FXA-GD70 (MS-7640) 1.0
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1.15 10/31/2012

I was so in hopes that linux is finally to the point where most could install it and start learning how to use it.

Thanks for any help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Add 'nomodeset'. I am presuming you have it installed on the hard drive and are talking about booting to the grub menu with a list of cursors?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Add 'nomodeset'. I am presuming you have it installed on the hard drive and are talking about booting to the grub menu with a list of cursors? If so, 'e' to edit the kernel line and add 'nomodset' after 'quiet splash' or 'splash quiet'.

If you are still at the booting from the install media stage, when you get to 'Try Ubuntu' 'Install Ubuntu' hit F6 and choose 'nomodeset' from the popup list.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_Penny
    I was so in hopes that linux is finally to the point where most could install it and start learning how to use it.
    It is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

linux is easy to install (especially if it's not a dual boot). also if Mint 16 works well use that instead. just use what works... Mint is a very good distro.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

It is. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Bucky Ball;12902470]Add 'nomodeset'. I am presuming you have it installed on the hard drive and are talking about booting to the grub menu with a list of cursors? If so, 'e' to edit the kernel line and add 'nomodset' after 'quiet splash' or 'splash quiet'.

If you are still at the booting from the install media stage, when you get to 'Try Ubuntu' 'Install Ubuntu' hit F6 and choose 'nomodeset' from the popup list.

Here is the steps I have taken/done.
    I have downloaded and burned linuxmint-16-kde-dvd-64bit.iso
    I have opened the DVD and it does show many folders and files.
    I have put the DVD disk in my DVD drive and restarted my
    computer.
    I have tried to Boot the LiveDVD and I end up with a Blank white

screen with a blinking cursor. I have not gotten to the screen

where you have a choice to install. I only get to the screen in

Linux Mint where you click on "Start Linux Mint".
    When I click on "Start Linux Mint" a few seconds later I end up

with a Blank White Screen with blink cursor.
    I have also tried this with Kubuntu 13.10 and the results is the

same. I need help getting past the Blank screen.

Beans

I have now downloaded Ubuntu 13.10, burned using ImgBurn. After setting BIOS to boot using DVD I restart computer and now I go directly to Blank screen with flashing cursor. I do not get to the Welcome screen. Is there something in Windows 8.1 that is not allowing Linux to boot? I have regular BIOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast