Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail and security

Beans

Mail and security

Hi! This is my first post, I hope the first of many more to come.

First off, sorry if this is an old question or a too basic one. I'm a new ubuntu user. I used the Advanced Search tool and didn't find the answers to the question I have.

The thing is I got a mail with some pics attached in my hotmail account from a non reliable source and I don't know if it is safe to show the images. I know in Windows that could cause some trouble, infecting your computer with malware. Is it possible to get malware from the mail in Ubuntu?

If so, I would like to know too if there's possible to get infected the same way while running an Ubuntu Live CD.

Thanks in advance and sorry again if this question is too basic.

Beans

Re: Mail and security

Yes, it is possible to get malware from mail in Ubuntu. Nothing is impossible, but with Ubuntu, it's less likely. Checking your email using a live cd would be safe, since a live cd session doesn't actually require a hard drive. If you want to be completely safe, unplug your hard drive and then run the live cd.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In theory, yes, you can get malware via email. It's mostly trojans that you have to worry about, programs that, when executed, do something malicious. I don't think you have to worry about something as simple as a picture. Even if it's a Linux executable in disguise (with a .jpeg extension, for example), you can't run the file, only view it, unless you explicitly state you want to get execute permission for the file. So, even in the unlikely case of Linux-compatible malware, it's unlikely to cause damage when you only open the picture for display.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Thank you very much both of you newbie-user and Impavidus.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie-user View Post
    Yes, it is possible to get malware from mail in Ubuntu. Nothing is impossible, but with Ubuntu, it's less likely. Checking your email using a live cd would be safe, since a live cd session doesn't actually require a hard drive. If you want to be completely safe, unplug your hard drive and then run the live cd.
    What about the BIOS? Could it get infected even without the hard drive? (sorry if my question is silly)

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    In theory, yes, you can get malware via email. It's mostly trojans that you have to worry about, programs that, when executed, do something malicious. I don't think you have to worry about something as simple as a picture. Even if it's a Linux executable in disguise (with a .jpeg extension, for example), you can't run the file, only view it, unless you explicitly state you want to get execute permission for the file. So, even in the unlikely case of Linux-compatible malware, it's unlikely to cause damage when you only open the picture for display.
    How do you state you want to get execute permission for the file?
    Is there a way to know if the attached files are excutables in disguise before allowing the pics to be viewed? If not, how would you do it after?

I also would appreciate recommendations on Ubuntu antivirus and any advise you consider helpful for an inexperienced user like me.

Thank you very much again!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As a rule, it's not considered necessary to run antivirus on Ubuntu unless you are exchanging a lot of files with Windows users and want to check that they're safe before transferring them.

For Ubuntu security info, a good place to start is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When in doubt delete the email without opening it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by becerroloko View Post
    Is there a way to know if the attached files are excutables in disguise before allowing the pics to be viewed? If not, how would you do it after?
    CharlesA's advice is good.

But if you don't want to do that, a compromise is:

1) Instead of trying to open the files from your email client, save them to a temporary directory.

2) Open the relevant application, e.g. an image viewer or word processor.

3) Open the files from within the application.

4) If it's an email from Nigeria offering you a great way to make a lot of money, don't trust it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by becerroloko View Post
    Is there a way to know if the attached files are excutables in disguise before allowing the pics to be viewed?
    Usually malware posing as image attachments have filenames like jenna.jpg.exe. Older mail clients had bugs that enabled the use of various techniques to hide the .exe part of the filename from view. Most contemporary mail clients are protected against those sorts of attacks.

The easiest way to see what is in an email message is to view its "source." In Thunderbird, use F8 to hide the message preview window, then highlight a message in the list and use Ctrl-U to view its source. You'll see something like this ahead of the MIME-encoded attachment itself:

Code:
    --===============1680891543==
    Content-Type: application/octet-stream
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="PARCEL FOR YOU.rtf"
    (This is from an obvious scam I received this morning.)
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

While others have hopefully answered your question , I just want to welcome you to Ubuntu , enjoy
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 /Xubuntu 14.04.1/Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04/UbuntuMate 14.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast