Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts of a Former Distrohopper

Beans

Thoughts of a Former Distrohopper

I've been a total Linux user, as has my wife, since 2002. All the men and women who held my hand while I, assuredly not a coder, learned my way around were saints. What a trip it's been.

And now another milestone. I'm experiencing something very weird. For the first time my never ending impulses to distro-hop are gone. Poof! Ubuntu is enough. No urge to trash the hard drive and start over. And, in spite of my professions to the contrary when it first came out, shock of shocks - Unity is now my favorite desktop.

Life is full of surprises!

Re: Thoughts of a Former Distrohopper

Code:
    while (true)
    {
        SelectDistro($distro);
        $boredOfDistro = false;

while (!$boredOfDistro)
        {
            ScrewUp($epicFail);
            SolveProblem($solution);

if (NowBored())
            {
                $boredOfDistro = true;
                $distro = FindAGoodDistro();
            }
        }
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You are under the Ubuntu with Unity "spell"...you will never distro hop again!

Beans

I used to "distro hop" all the time until about 3 years ago. I finally realized that nothing works as well as ubuntu. I don't even check out other distros anymore, as there is no point.

Personally, I stopped after I installed Slackware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@Habitual: Nice.

I don't hop much, but I do have a few OSes on thumb drives. Puppy, TAILS, android. I guess just being able to boot something different is enough, and I'm satisfied to leave Ubuntu on my main machines.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have to type fast because more often than not my posts get interrupted by me nuking partitions switching to another dist.... phew almost

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

I stopped hoping between distros when (k)ubuntu 12.04 got released. Today I have a minimal installation of ubuntu and using kde 4.12 on it. I have virtualbox installed where i still have an arch install and trying other distros sometimes. But I really like the lts releases and will never change....hopefully

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: Thoughts of a Former Distrohopper

I hopped till I hit Meerkat...That was for me the cream of the crop! I've used Linux for ten years.
    Will i every hop again? it's hard to say.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who is also exploring Minecraft. Want to join us? Let us know.

http://linuxinternationals.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've installed SolydK (an offshoot of Mint Debian) so that I don't have to distro-hop or re-install (cause it's rolling release) on my netbook -- which I only use for email, writing and browsing.

But I'm like a crow. I love all things new and shiny -- and will risk getting run over. So, on my upper-end laptop, I've got to have those PPA's. It's all about package management. Since I've never warmed to Unity (though I'm going to try 14.04 and see what I think) I'm presently using NetrunnerOS. I've switched to KDE, much to my shock, after a couple years hopping through different Xubuntu distros. (XFCE is going through an awkward transitional phase right now.)
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast