Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Court Strikes Down Net Neutrality Rules, Sides with Big Telecom

Beans

Federal Court Strikes Down Net Neutrality Rules, Sides with Big Telecom

http://gizmodo.com/federal-court-inv...ium=socialflow

Federal Court Strikes Down Net Neutrality Rules, Sides with Big Telecom

A U.S. Appeals Court just invalidated the FCC's net neutrality rules that would've made it illegal for telecom companies to favor certain types of traffic over others. The court ruled that the commission lacked the authority to implement and enforce such rules which were embedded in a complicated legal framework.

The court describes its reasoning in the ruling:

Given that the Commission has chosen to classify broadband providers in a manner that exempts them from treatment as common carriers, the Communications Act expressly prohibits the Commission from nonetheless regulating them as such. Because the Commission has failed to establish that the anti-discrimination and anti-blocking rules do not impose per se common carrier obligations, we vacate those portions of the Open Internet Order.
    In other words, the FCC didn't have the authority to impose its rules because it defined broadband internet as an information service rather than a common carrier service, like telephones.

This is bad news. The ruling basically opens the door for companies like Verizon and Time Warner to cut special deals with websites to serve up their content faster. It also opens up the possibility of paid access to specific sites. Imagine the worst case scenario, where you literally have to pay an extra fee to get access to the websites you like. It's possible! At least the latest federal court ruling on Verizon's appeal to the FCC states that telecom companies have to tell subscribers which sites they're favoring.

Continue reading here...
    http://gizmodo.com/federal-court-inv...ium=socialflow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Federal Court Strikes Down Net Neutrality Rules, Sides with Big Telecom

Bad. Very bad.

As a reminder to respondants: We have been lenient with regard to the discussion of political events and how they may impact open source. I think we can include potential impact on internet neutrality in that discussion.

HOWEVER: Do not let this become a discussion about the politics. For instance "The US Courts have no business ..." would be a political discussion beyond the scope of current forum policy. That would end up in this thread being closed.

This is an important development and discussion is encouraged. Don't be the one who gets this thread shut down.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As most things, it seems bad at first, but we will have to see what happens. It's really not any different than the control that ISP's and telephone/3g/4G carriers already exert over their subscribers. I'm more concerned over Propensity Scoring and how this unregulated practice affects our use of the web and our privacy. For instance, different versions of a web page will be shown to you based on your propensity score. If you are a heavy on-line shopper, expect to see higher prices shown to you for a particular product search.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 14th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There might be a potential upside, actually.

Say worst comes to worst (or, as Defoe uses it in "Robinson Crusoe", "worse comes to worst").

If consumers get tired of "rigging" by the big boys causing a lack of neutrality, a market could open for smaller carriers who promise no such roadblocks. Competition might cause a correction of the market back towards neutrality -- and other innovation.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That is what I am thinking. A peer-to-peer network that is a little harder to control than the current internet.

A Haiku:

Net Neutrality . . .
    Big Boys take over. That's bad.
    Time for a new web.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 15th, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

then there is also google building it's own network. i know they have a lot to go, and these kind og decisions might speed things up. in the end it could all blow up in the current ISP faces.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Google just bought Nest thermostats. So now they know when you are home and when you leave. That might be useful information to sell to door-to-door salesmen or others who have an interest in knowing when you are not home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hope for what QIII describes. I'm of mixed mind about whether it will transpire. For example, everyone I know says that if only cable TV providers would offer a service that let them pick which individual channels their subscription provided, then they'd jump at it. But that hasn't happened.

Maybe physical infrastructure limits competition in cable TV markets. Dunno.

Being a dummy, I don't know whether a client-side software solution might defeat selective redirection or propensity scoring. For an extreme example, if you used TOR and searched on "best hernia truss" would your ISP be able to redirect you to the truss vendor who paid them the most? Or would you get the same search results an anonymous user would get?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You bring up some good points. We need some tools to detect propensity scoring. For instance User Agent allows you to change your browser identity and tor allows you to mask your IP, but deeper tools will be needed. Because you searched for a hernia truss, you are now tagged as a medical propensity so expect to see adult diaper advertisements in your mailbox. The upside of propensity scoring is now customers are labeled as "Junk" when they don't have any money--as in bankrupt, upside down in mortgage, flat broke, huge student debt, etc. So your mailbox will be less full.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 16th, 2014 at 06:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hmmmm...

Is that why I get all of those?

I thought it was because I'm a member of AARP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast