Thread: Help resizing partitions

Beans

Help resizing partitions

Hi i cant add any more space to a partition i got like 60gb that dosent belong anyway but i cant add them to a partition. Even when i have ''unlocked'' the partition where i want the space to go but i cant add them. The meter box thingy where you add more memory is on max. Plz help and fast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help fast

Open a terminal and post the output of:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    And fast!
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

i think im getting a error Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Beans

When i open the Gparted i want to make a one partition on like 4 diffrent allocated spaces

Beans

But i cant add them all to one allocated space

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What release you are using. To create partitions and resize existing ones everything needs to be unmounted. Boot from Live media (the install disk or USB), 'Try Ubuntu' and when at a desktop launch Gparted and do what you like.

A tip for the future: You have a much better chance of getting help fast by using a descriptive thread title that actually tells us something about your problem. Generic titles like 'Help fast' mean nothing and can put some people off. To be honest, from your post I see nothing that needs fixing fast. It appears you simply want to re-partition your drive.

Most people here need help fast so you are giving us nothing to work with. Also, include as much relevant information as you can, particularly about what your issue is and what you've tried to do to fix it.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 14th, 2014 at 06:55 PM.

Beans

Im using the lastest stable version of ubuntu and i will try that and keep that in mind in the future, thx

Beans
    Hidden!

In post #2 above, tgalati4 tried to help you fast; however, you didn't provide the result from the command.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wanted to see the current layout of the partitions. I presumed that there were "holes" of empty space scattered throughout the drive. You can't simply add them to existing partitions. You need to delete all of the partitions to the "right" of the empty space, then you can add that space to the partition to the "left". The sector boundary error is usually minor and can be fixed in gparted, but you have to have a plan on how to lay out the disk. Part of that plan is to understand how the current partitions are laid out--hence the command to share that with us who are trying to help.

Linux requires one to focus.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 15th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Help resizing partitions

Changed thread title to something a bit more appropriate.