Thread: Dell Inspiron 17R keyboard backlighting

Beans

Dell Inspiron 17R keyboard backlighting

Is the keyboard backlighting used in the Inspiron 17R controlled in hardware (BIOS) like System76 laptops or rather in software (OS) ?
    I ask the question because I'm looking for a laptop to run linux.
    I've been looking at various brands (System76 would be a no-brainer but there not available in Belgium), such as Asus, Acer, ...
    The backlighting on those machines apparently is a problem in linux (lots of comments on google) but it seems that Dell laptops seem to be ok for the most part.
    Has anyone here got a recent Inspiron 17R with backlit keyboard and can you confirm it works in Ubuntu (or Mint, which I'm planning on using) ?

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 17R keyboard backlighting

I can't speak to the Inspiron but my Delll Latitude E6350 keyboard backlighting works fine with Ubuntu 12.04. The back lighting is controlled in bios on this machine.

Live long, and prosper
    Jerry

Beans

Thx for the reply. Latitudes are business machines so I don't think it's safe to assume that all Dells have bios controlled backlighting. Could anyone comment on this ?

Beans

I've got an Inspiron 15R with backlit keyboard and the backlighting 'just works' without any configuration (in 13.04 and 13.10). I suspect it is hardware driven rather than software driven.

Beans

Hi vman_uk, thx for the reply. Is your 15R a recent model ? If it is, then I suspect the backlight technology in the 17R should be practically identical. Has it got an AMD video card as well ? The 17R that I want to buy uses AMD graphics. Did you have any trouble getting them to work properly ?

Beans

Anyone else have a Dell (preferably a recent 17R) with keyboard backlighting that 'just works' ?