Thread: Graphic equaliser for 12.04 non-Geek wanted

Beans

Graphic equaliser for 12.04 non-Geek wanted

I have Ubuntu 12.04, since leaving Windows last October, and the sort of speakers which want to boost the bass on everything. One of the few things I still haven't found on Ubuntu is a workable graphic equaliser, so I can reduce the bass to enjoyable levels.
    I can't find one in the Software Centre, and I don't want a complex mixer set-up for multiple inputs, just a useful level of treble-bass control.

I see from earlier posts there have been issues with these in the past. I see a lot of "Doesn't work" "Makes it all crash" "Breaks my sound system" comments, which don't inspire confidence either!
    I also see that I can't understand much of what's written, as it quickly leaps into acronyms and techie language!

Please can you recommend a simple, workable graphic equaliser?

Thanks,
    Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Graphic equaliser for 12.04 non-Geek wanted

Install audacious and play with it for awhile. I don't know of a system-wide EQ, without some programming. I would break out the soldering iron, some resistors and capacitors and make a passive filter to handle those bad bass waves.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you are looking for an equilizer for music, I use Clementine <http://www.clementine-player.org/downloads>. It is a crossplatform music player and under the tools menu there is an equilizer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have been using the pulse eq since 9.10 . I find the rock setting a good starting point . http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/syste...equalizer.html
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thanks for these replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I have been using the pulse eq since 9.10 . I find the rock setting a good starting point . http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/syste...equalizer.html
    I tried installing as instructions on the page. I confess I don't know what most of them mean, but faithfully copied them into the terminal
    Got as far as step 4 when it returned with
    "E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
    E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed."

I don't understand much of this either, but it's clear it's not going any further.

Any words of advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
    Richard

Beans
    Distro

The first three commands should be run one by one pressing enter after each . The first adds the software repository, the second updates the package system, and the last installs the equalizer. Then search for it in dash to enable it and there are presets available as I wrote Rock is good starting point. . The other commands are only to be used if you encounter problems as described on the web page.

ant2 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I noticed the Equaliser in Frogs Hair's post is no longer being developed and whilst stumbling around found this post http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/insta...in-system.html which helps with enabling Pulseaudio's built in equaliser.

I can't claim to have tried this myself but I thought you may be interested in having a read through.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ant2 View Post
    I noticed the Equaliser in Frogs Hair's post is no longer being developed and whilst stumbling around found this post http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/insta...in-system.html which helps with enabling Pulseaudio's built in equaliser.

I can't claim to have tried this myself but I thought you may be interested in having a read through.

This version of the application in posted link is below is maintained by Webupd8 for each new Ubuntu version . The variation above is very difficult to work with and I have installed before.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/syste...equalizer.html
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; January 15th, 2014 at 02:32 AM.

ant2 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the information Frogs Hair.

I should have read the first two sentences in the link you gave more carefully
    Last edited by ant2; January 15th, 2014 at 02:53 AM.