Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else using GNOME 3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Anyone else using GNOME 3?

Just wonder how many others were using Ubuntu with GNOME 3 instead of Unity or other Desktops? I ran Point Linux 2.2 for a few months and really liked it, it's Debian 7.2 Stable with MATE DE but I just wanted to try something different so I moved to Ubuntu/GNOME 13.10 and after I found out that I could set it up so I'd have a "live" desktop(i.e. create folders, have removable media show up there, have my Home folder and Trash on the desktop) and other little tweaks I really started enjoying it quite a bit. I used Tweak Tools to set it up the way I wanted it and I think it works as well for me now as GNOME 2/MATE was and it has a more modern look to it as well.
    Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else was using GNOME 3 and what you thought about it.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Anyone else using GNOME 3?

Not a support request moved to Ubuntu Linux and OS Chat
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Still running MATE, waiting for you to endorse something better. I don't like the file manager changes in gnome3. There are work-arounds to get back to the old-style nautilus, but I am lazy.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I test them all but gnome3 is my main desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: Anyone else using GNOME 3?

I'm currently testing GNOME 3 as part of the Ubuntu® GNOME® 13.12a1 Trusty Tahr™ installation on an eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 being prepared for projection duty; found that the X.org Nouveau driver works properly on an EVGA® 8400GS low-profile VDA, whereas it was a fail on an Asus® EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) VDA (ironically, both use the nVIDIA® GT218 GPU). The GNU® GNOME® Desktop Manager seems to work as advertised, excepting the GNOME® Settings Daemon™ (borked due to a missing library?), as of 12 January 2014; we'll see whether this is still the case, or further improved yet, when Trusty is released to market as 14.04.1-LTS.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; January 25th, 2014 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Fix LTS Alpha1 month code.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

I use gnome shell in Fedora but I prefer Unity. GS doesn't have the same smooth work flow and feels kind of constricted IMO. For example, all actions have to be initiated through the same activity corner which can be very awkward when you want to reach somewhere in the opposite side (say the dynamic workplaces), whereas in Unity you can use the edges to move around if you have the appropriate Compiz options enabled. Also Unity's search is a lot better than GS's (which doesn't search files) Some of gs's restrictions can be addressed through extensions (e.g something like Unity's now defunct dodged window feature and edge flip,--only vertical,--but some of these are not maintained so they break when a new version of gs comes out. If you are lucky you may find a replacement but then maybe not.

P.S. Ubuntu's gnome is not the most up to date (and heavily patched?), I would recommend Fedora if you want the latest pure gnome shell experience.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 14th, 2014 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I played with Compiz in my Point Linux MATE install and it was fun but really didn't add much to productivity. I don't dig deep enough into a Distro to bother with which Desktop Manager it's running. Long as the apps I want to run work that's all I care about and everything I use seems to run fine under GNOME 3. With Tweak Tools I finally found the functionality that I wanted on the desktop that I didn't know that GNOME 3 had. Now that I've "tweaked" it I really like it though.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Compiz is not just eye candies. It is very useful for multitasking.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I added GNOME Shell to Ubuntu 12.04. Sometimes I log into the Unity session, other times I log into GNOME Shell. I'm fine either way, and I don't know which one I like better. Typing this from GNOME Shell in Debian Wheezy, by the way.

I don't care much for Nautilus, but it wasn't my favorite file manager even before GNOME 3; so, I use SpaceFM most of the time. I'm fine with most of the other GNOME apps.
    Last edited by malspa; January 15th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Beans

I began testing Ubuntu GNOME before it became an official flavor mostly out of curiosity, but it's now my personal favorite DE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast