Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else using GNOME 3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Anyone else using GNOME 3?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    P.S. Ubuntu's gnome is not the most up to date (and heavily patched?), I would recommend Fedora if you want the latest pure gnome shell experience.
    Yes, the current Fedora 20 release with Gnome 3.10 is really quite good. (The Infinality font rendering package is a must tweak.)

Frankly, given the way I set up Gnome, there's little functional difference between it and Unity or any other GUI with a dock. I install the DashToDock extension to get that standard dock, an extension to turn off the hot corner, and the TopIcon extensions to get a few Gnome-unaware icons to show up in the top panel (like Dropbox).

I disable the online searches in Unity to avoid the screen clutter, so, while things look a bit different, behavior is very similar.

I do agree that Unity, especially in 13.10/14.04, seems a bit smoother than Gnome 3.10 in Fedora.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

My current set up is Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 with Gnome Shell 3.10 ! Also, it has the entire Ubuntu Studio packages with low-latency kernel. This is my production machine.
    I am trying Gnome Shell 3.10 from Sept last year if i remember correctly, added it to the Alpha of 13.10 release

I am using Ubuntu Gnome from 13.04 onwards. .
    Somehow, Gnome appeals to me far more than any other DE ( if you do not consider FVWM as a DE). I run my Wheezy 7.3 with FVWM & thats the best it can get (according to me)

But yes, Gnome3 is heavily customized using a bagfull of extensions from extensions.gnome.org.
    In fact I tweaked 2 extensions to work with my Gnome Shell 3.10 & posted the links in this Cafe thread !
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2199292

Soon gonna download Gnome Tahr Alpha/Beta and run it with Ubuntu Studio packages.
    I guess I am one of the few who run Ubuntu Gnome Releases & Beta's with low-latency Kernel
    Last edited by su:bhatta; January 15th, 2014 at 11:39 AM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Last edited by SurfaceUnits; January 16th, 2014 at 01:14 AM.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Yes, the current Fedora 20 release with Gnome 3.10 is really quite good. (The Infinality font rendering package is a must tweak.)

Frankly, given the way I set up Gnome, there's little functional difference between it and Unity or any other GUI with a dock. I install the DashToDock extension to get that standard dock, an extension to turn off the hot corner, and the TopIcon extensions to get a few Gnome-unaware icons to show up in the top panel (like Dropbox).

I am still on Fedora 19. Checked out F20 when it was released but many extensions don't work any more. Dash to dock works but needed to be compiled from git. Vertical edge flip didn't work (and has not been updated for quite a while so I think it is discontinued) I installed topicon but removed it after I got used to gs's notification (but for the uninitiated it is a wtf moment when things like jitsi or skype just appear to have disappeared after launch, I think jitsi still doesn't work but I never really use it as I have no contact who has it installed)

Do you know any extension that would integrate file search into the gnome-shell dash?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Just jumped onto GNOME 3 last night. Ahhhhhhh... I was never happy with the decision to go with Unity over GNOME. Almost went with xfce but decided to give an old favorite a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12