Thread: Change local folder permissions on Samba Share

Beans

Question Change local folder permissions on Samba Share

I recently replaced my home server running Server 2008r2 with an Ubuntu 12.04 Server. So far I've managed to get everything I need up and running without issue except for local folder permissions on my Samba share. My Samba shares are all under /media/Raid5 (Made a Raid5 array using mdadm) and I can access them over the network and make changes without issue. But when I'm logged in locally on the server any changes I make to the shares need to be run as root.

How do I correct the local permissions so I can make changes without running as root? and will changing local permissions cause any issues with my existing Samba Shares?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change local folder permissions on Samba Share

When I set up Samba I also set up a Samba user account so I can authenticate access for shares on my server. I set the account to the same as my local user account on my server so there wouldn't be any issues. I would say try and make the owner and group to your local account with chmod and see what happens, or try and add a Samba account.

It might also be important to note that you may have mounted the share with root. sudo mount /dev/sda3 /media/Raid5, or however you mounted the device since you use sudo it will mount the device with root permissions. You might be able to change the mount on fstab to look like:
    Code:
    #Raid5 mount on /media/Raid5
    /dev/sda3 /media/Raid5 ext4 rw,user,exec,dev,suid,async 0 0
    That will allow any user to mount the device.

To change the owner and group of a file, type (Change chris to your username):
    Code:
    sudo chown chris.chris /media/Raid5
    You will need to changed the security under Authentication in smb.conf to security=user, you might just have to uncomment the line.

To add a Samba user, type:
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a chris
    enter password
    re-enter password
    Then under the share you defined in smb.conf, add "valid users = chris" Which will allow only chris to have access to that share.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    "Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change local folder permissions on Samba Share

This is what my share with an external drive looks like just as a refernce:

Code:
    [FreeAgent]
        comment= External Drive