Thread: What are the best dvd ripping tools for series and films?

Beans

Question [SOLVED]What are the best dvd ripping tools for series and films?

I've a lot of dvd's and series. I wan't to Rip the films to avi files (xvid) and series to mp4 (h264).

I tried DVDFab for films and Handbrake for series both on windows.
    I saw that Handbrake is for ubuntu too, but DVDFab not.

What are the best programas for lubuntu/ubuntu to rip dvd films and series?
    Last edited by The_Reaper; February 14th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Beans

Re: What are the best dvd ripping tools for series and films?

Handbrake, of course.

ogmrip (http://ogmrip.sourceforge.net) seems to be a decent alternate. You could examine what this does and go directly to command line and tweak for utmost control but the GUI approach simplifies things greatly and does an adequate job.

gddrescue, the GNU data recovery tool, is also useful if you have DVD's that are a bit difficult to read. This is run from the command line as, for example 'ddrescue /dev/sr0 -r 3 -b 2048 dvd.iso dvd.ddrlog' - then you can feed the iso to ogmrip or mount the iso (right click on icon to choose the proper open option) to feed to handbrake.

do make sure you've loaded ubuntu restricted extras to install the necessary codecs and run /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh to enable DVD decrypting (of course, do be knowledgable about laws in your particular area regarding copying and decrypting)

handbrake has a ppa and the other two are in the repositories
    Last edited by bryanl; February 13th, 2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: software sources

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
    Handbrake, of course.

ogmrip (http://ogmrip.sourceforge.net) seems to be a decent alternate. You could examine what this does and go directly to command line and tweak for utmost control but the GUI approach simplifies things greatly and does an adequate job.

gddrescue, the GNU data recovery tool, is also useful if you have DVD's that are a bit difficult to read. This is run from the command line as, for example 'ddrescue /dev/sr0 -r 3 -b 2048 dvd.iso dvd.ddrlog' - then you can feed the iso to ogmrip or mount the iso (right click on icon to choose the proper open option) to feed to handbrake.

do make sure you've loaded ubuntu restricted extras to install the necessary codecs and run /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh to enable DVD decrypting (of course, do be knowledgable about laws in your particular area regarding copying and decrypting)

handbrake has a ppa and the other two are in the repositories
    Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Make sure that you use the version of HandBrake from this PPA, since the version in the 12.10 repositories is crippled.

I wan't to Rip the films to avi files (xvid)
    Why? H.264 in an MP4 will give you better quality at a given bit rate (or a smaller bit rate for a given quality) every time.

Beans

FWIW here is the script I use to backup my purchased DVDs.
    I put a dvd in my drive, use a keystroke launcher to run 'dvd2iso', and the resulting iso is placed in my home folder.
    For some DVD sets that have a common name I need to move/rename the .iso before I rip the next disk, or it will be overwritten.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Create a damn backup of a dvd

outdir=dvd$RANDOM
    outiso=iso$RANDOM
    vlc dvd:///dev/sr0 --play-and-exit &
    vlcpid=$!
    sleep 13 && kill $vlcpid
    ddrescue -n -b 2048 /dev/sr0 $outiso
    eject /dev/sr0
    dvdbackup -M -i $outiso -o $outdir
    rm -rfv $outiso
    first=$(find $outdir/ -maxdepth 1 -type d|tail -n 1)
    second=$(basename "$first")
    cd $outdir
    mkisofs --dvd-video -o ../"$second".iso "$second"
    cd ..
    rm -rfv $outdir
    If you have any questions, please. Don't ask.

- Z

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    Make sure that you use the version of HandBrake from this PPA, since the version in the 12.10 repositories is crippled....
    I agree. You don't know its crippled until you install the ppa, or unless you've used it in the past.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

If you are interested in the comandline you would only need a handful of tools to get the job done. For example vobcopy to rip the dvds to disk (assuming you own the dvds) and then FFmpeg will handle all of the rest...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?