Thread: Celeron Dual Core, 2GB DDR3 and i386

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Celeron Dual Core, 2GB DDR3 and i386

I need some clarifying :-

consider the following statements:-

Code:
    First, you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kaliis supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are
    minimal as listed below, although better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images
    have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and
    either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not
    have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.
    Installation Prerequisites
    A minimum of 10 GB disk space for the Kali Linux install.
    For i386 and amd64 architectures, a minimum of 512MB RAM.
    CD-DVD Drive / USB boot support
    Will a Celeron Dual Core processor with 2 GB DDR3 ram meet the need?

More specifically, will this laptop be good for running Kali?

http://www.flipkart.com/fujitsu-life...8-6c4b87dbe5d7
    "Metallica doesn't suck, Motorhead just kicks way more fy! 5 bottles of whisky, 2 packs of smokes and fried bologna every day for forty years and i could have a voice like lemmy's" - -Some guys on youtube..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Celeron Dual Core, 2GB DDR3 and i386

it will more than meet the minimal need. in fact it will run quite fast. you probably can go with 64bit (but make sure your CPU is 64bit which i think it is since it's dual core). EDIT: i've checked it seems it's using Pentium 2020M and these are 64 bit. so you can use 64bit or 32 bit version which ever you like. i owuld say if oyu mean to do penetration testing you should benefit a bit from 64bit.

you can try it live anyway.

Also Kali is debian based (make sure it works out of the box or be prepared for some manual configurating etc.). Backbox on the other hand is Ubuntu based.

finally - i wonder if such powerfull tools are appropriate for you considering the questions you are asking. well it's a free OS. just remember with great power comes great responsibility.
    Last edited by mastablasta; January 13th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Celeron Dual Core, 2GB DDR3 and i386

thanks for your response... yes i know its debian and ive been thru a lotta manual config on other linux distros in the past... (infact, before 10.04 came along, everything reqd getting ur hands dirty...)

haha my questions are basic, yes. im no pro.. and i wanted to double check my opinion before i put my money into a fujitsu... (cuz i did a lotta narrowing down on the buying a laptop front before i arrived at that one)

do i need such powerful tools? i want it to learn. to study. (there should be no end to learning right?) so... yea, some of those tools, i need. but otherwise, your concerns are legit..

responsibility is my middle name mate.. thanks again! ill take a look at backbox aswell...
    "Metallica doesn't suck, Motorhead just kicks way more fy! 5 bottles of whisky, 2 packs of smokes and fried bologna every day for forty years and i could have a voice like lemmy's" - -Some guys on youtube..