Thread: Rythmbox does not find Ipod when plugged in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Rythmbox does not find Ipod when plugged in

I am new to Ubunto. I have loaded 12.04 Percise Pangolia (sic) on two computers the version 32 bit. My USB drive was only 2 gigs so I settled with the smaller file. I would like to try the 64 bit model one day, but for now this is fine. One lap top that works fine and it finds the Ipod, but on my dual boot desk top the program can not find the Ipod. How can I make the computer discover the Ipod. this is the main issue because I have much more music on the desk top than I do on the laptop.

I have limited experience in the "terminal" but have used the "shutdown 10" command today on the Laptop and it shut down laptop when the regular shut down on the screen (top right hand) did not work. So I solve that little problem.

I am very interested in getting comfortable with this new OS> I still have XP on this computer but want to learn new because XP support will be ended in just a few months.

I hope someone can assist me in this current issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Rythmbox does not find Ipod when plugged in

Welcome to the new OS! I hope you can learn and enjoy Ubuntu as much as I have. Sometimes it takes a while for a reply, but also sometimes it is that the post gets buried under many other request, feel free to ask questions and such here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=ipod

I do not use Ipod myself, but I found this post doing a small search, and thought maybe it could help. Sadly, Apple does not like to support non apple like things to much. I hear soon that Itunes or Istore whatever will not even be on Windows any more.

If you need to organize it, that should help, and if you need to, you might be able to bridge a connection for your ipod from your computer to the internet to get new things.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I gave up with my iPod and Ubuntu quite early on (10.04 I think). I've kept a partition with windows in it and my music library sits on an NTFS partition accessible from Windows or Ubuntu. It's funny how things that are basically built on Unix (Apple and TomTom stuff spring to mind) don't work well with Linux.

If I was a conspiracy theorist .......
    I'm a PC and Linux is a better idea

Beans
    Distro

@Garycat.

There are Unix and Basically a "Unix" OS that will have nothing to do with the Apple Stuff, even though Mac is a Unix. I believe OpenSolaris (you know when it was open.) and OpenIndiana do not really work with it or itunes or anything, and those are Unix.

Then there is the OS by Apple too, that Darwin, you can not use any of the Apple stuff either.

So it is less a Linux thing, and more an Apple thing, so if you are feeling a conspiracy... There is one, it is called Apple wanting to lock people into their expensive stuff for money.

Sadly, if the rumors are true, regardless of what windows you plan on using, it looks like Apple is soon going to stop supporting that too. (Not so much a need, since you can go online with almost everything now.)

On a side note, I heard somewhere, that the Ipod will not show up on Linux if you do not initilize the system to be a FAT32 system. It will not even load, so you might need to use it in a windows and do that. (Note, I think it gets rid of all your stuff though if you do that, so have the files read to download again.)

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your responses. I have been away for a while. I had one computer crash, for memmory failure and fnally got 12.04 installed and running on another computer. I am really likeing this OS. It does fine. It's fast. and I can control failed programs with xkill. (Great command). I have just tried to install peer guardian and posted that there for my issue. So I won't repost that here for clutter. I got Rythem box running and I have actually been successful in getting Ipod shuffel to work with it. thank you again and I look forward to responses on the other issue.

Beans
    Distro

You are very welcome, I am glad you have it worked out. Please remember to mark your thread as solved! And hope your other problems are fixed too!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your reply, yet I have one more question. How do I "mark (my) thread as solved"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hebrewofyhwh View Post
    How do I "mark (my) thread as solved"?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

I just wanted to make a note here for others who have the Ipod Shuffel thing. If you have Mp3 music that you want to play on your ipod then put it in a file on the desktop. Plug in your ipod and Rythm box opens, (find devices may have to be done) and then open file and have both open on the screen and drag and drop the music you want to play on the ipod into the music list. I have not tried to "sync " it and I don't think that will work. But the drag and drop works. Now getting the music in order, I am not certain. But I do konw I was just now successful in transfering new songs to my Ipod! Now I don't care if I ever see a Windows computer. I can do every thing I need to do on this Ubunto Percise Pangolin! I am so pleased with this new OS. Thank you again to all who have helped me.