Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weird, blocky ProRes

Beans

Re: weird, blocky ProRes

How do I make it work?

I downloaded a "static build" of ffmpeg from ffmpeg, but I don't know how to get a different version of ffplay than the one in the build -- I don't understand what you mean by "fake ffplay" -- is there a different one I can use?

---------------

I figured out how to use the version of ffplay that was in the ffmbc that I downloaded, rather than the default in the build. This will work for my puposes. Sorted.
    Last edited by szegedin74; January 15th, 2014 at 01:44 AM.

Beans

The "static" ffmpeg build you downloaded may not contain an ffplay binary so in that case you would of been using whatever 12.10 provides for 'ffplay'.
    Either it's a link to the crappy avplay or actually ffplay from an old outdated FFmpeg source.

Beans

I wasn't using the "static" one I mentioned (for encoding). I had downloaded it and didn't see an ffplay. I re-compiled ffmpeg as per their instructions at https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide so I don't see how it's old and outdated, and I still don't get how it's working on other people's systems not mine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by szegedin74 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "fake ffplay"
    See Who can tell me the difference and relation between ffmpeg, libav, and avconv?.

Is there a different one I can use?
    I followed the compile guide you linked to and it provided a new ffmpeg and ffplay (and ffserver which I've never used) which played it normally. Then I tried the Libav stuff in the repo (avplay and fake "ffplay") and they were both crappy. Then I tried the newer Libav stuff on Ubuntu 13.10 and the artifacts are still present.

I wasn't using the "static" one I mentioned (for encoding). I had downloaded it and didn't see an ffplay.
    The static builds are supplied by third-parties (FFmpeg does not supply any binaries), but none of the Linux builds contain ffplay.

I re-compiled ffmpeg as per their instructions at https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide so I don't see how it's old and outdated, and I still don't get how it's working on other people's systems not mine.
    The VLC and Kdenlive from the repo are using the broken Libav fork. VLC and Kdenlive that use recent FFmpeg stuff as dependencies instead will play the prores properly.

Beans

Thanks that goes a long way toward explaining it.
    It's funny because kdenlive allows you to "point" it to a particular ffmpeg and ffplay, but that doesn't make a difference.
    I don't know how to get VLC or kdenlive to
    use recent FFmpeg stuff as dependencies instead
    Looked at recompiling MELT as advised here but it looks daunting.

I thought I had this solved because I can at least play back the files in Ubuntu, but VLC and kdenlive are still broken.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12