Thread: No web access or downloads....

Beans

No web access or downloads....

Hi,

I am new. I have a lot of experience with Windows but only a little with linux based ops. I have tried to do an upgrade from 11.1 to suggested newer version. Half way through downloads my DSL went down and the upgrade stalled.

It tried to do it's thing rolling back to previous state, but now I have lost web access and cannot do any updates....
    I have a perfect wifi connection and I can ping servers by name no problem...

I have tried a few things that I picked up from other posts here and there but nothing has worked so far. I could do an update from iso but I am afraid this may not solve the problem.
    I would like to resolve this so I can retry a direct upgrade...

If anyone can help I would be most grateful...

Gary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: No web access or downloads....

The best thing to do would be to download Ubuntu and reinstall. This will overwrite any data, so do you have your data backed up?

For future reference, use Clonezilla to make a back up copy and then update.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Cheers mate,

I was hoping to avoid that of course (ain't we all!)
    I can do this no problem but I would like to keep all settings and users and such which I have just gotten the way we need it. This is not an essential installation and no valuable data would be lost but I would just rather figure out what happened for future reference. A reinstall would mean I wouldn't be learning anything.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it....

Thanks

Beans

Hi,

This problem has mysteriously resolved itself after the last of many restarts. I am not sure how because all windows machines had perfect web access while this machine was down and I haven't done anything since to account for this? Strange but I will ask no questions and be happy about this! Thanks for reply Sef....