14.04 Alpha 1 installation ...
Could never get Ubuntu 13.10 32 bit or 64bit or the Gnome distro to work.
All three would eventually just freeze my PC and scramble the desktop graphics
to the point that it was totally unreadable.
So, I tried 14.04 Alpha 1 nightly AMD 64-bit version and it works on my PC:
AMD Athlon 6400+, 8GB RAM, SSD boot disk, nVidia GeForce 7300LE, dual monitors
Installed both root and /home in /dev/sda1
Here are my observations installing 14.04 Alpha 1:
Installation via DVD:
- red indicator for Internet access
- displays "13.10 Ubuntu-Gnome" for one screen (so must be derived from Ubuntu Gnome)
- slow graphics performance
- froze once, then had to reset
2-cd Boot up, the first thing I did was:
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
- sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
- graphic performance improved a little but still not as good as my main 12.04 on same PC but in different partition.
- sudo pam-auth-update --force
- graphic performance greatly improved but still not as good as my main 12.04
- no more freezing
- graphics performance not as good as I expected
- nvidia is 3.04.116
Last edited by cwmoser; January 12th, 2014 at 11:17 PM.
My other hobby is antique Radios and TV restoration.