Thread: What has your experience with Ubuntu 13.10 been so far?

Beans

What has your experience with Ubuntu 13.10 been so far?

Greetings,
    I have been thinking of trying out Ubuntu 13.10 for the first time. I was just wondering what the general consensus is about this release so far. Does it seem to have any major or moderate sized issues? Please tell me what your experience has been like with it so far and any other thoughts, comments, suggestions or critiques you would like to share.....

Thank you

Beans

Re: What has your experience with Ubuntu 13.10 been so far?

Runs without issue for me. Two desktops. One AMD with Radeon graphics, the other all Intel. Wireless and wired hookups work well - Netgear router. HP printer works great. Netflix runs great. My only problem is with GoogleEarth. It crashes as soon as it gets open.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Not really sure why this was moved to Recurring, but I also don't know where it was moved from

Anyway if you look at Punchy71's previous posts it' seems clear that he (or she) is simply being wise and looking before they leap

I see that there was a problem in Precise with a wireless printer. Since I've never used one I'm clueless in that regard, but I typically recommend that most end users stick with the LTS releases, eg; 12.04, 14.04, etc. To take that a step further I generally recommend waiting for the first point release during the LTS cycle, eg; 12.04.1, 14.04.1, etc.

It's important to also be mindful that the interim releases are now only supported for 9 months whereas the LTS release support cycle increased to 5 years beginning with Precise. And since the LTS hardware enablement stack was introduced a person really needs to think about which "step release" of the LTS's should be used for installation - I typically recommend the first point release unless your hardware requires the new "stack" because the support cycle is a bit convoluted:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

I'd be glad to answer this in more detail if asked, but regarding the original question - I've found both 13.04 and 13.10 to be Beta quality at best and almost unusable at worst

OTOH Precise has been rock stable and I expect Trusty (14.04) to be even better