Thread: Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS - Is user mythtv locked out of SSH login by default?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS - Is user mythtv locked out of SSH login by default?

I'm wondering if user mythtv is locked out of SSH login by default?

I looked in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and I do NOT see any lines that say "DenyUsers mythtv".

Either user mythtv can login via SSH, or user mythtv is locked out of SSH login, and it isn't obvious where that restriction is made.

Curious,
    Eric

Beans

Re: Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS - Is user mythtv locked out of SSH login by default?

User mythtv is a system user and has no password. That should prevent SSH login.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that answer.

In the past (2008-ish), we had to put the "DenyUsers mythtv" into the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to prevent the mythtv user from SSH logins.

How is this system user (no login) distinction made, now?
    Is there a particular config file that sets this status?

Thanks,
    Eric

Beans

... something in the back of my mind says that setting no password on an account only disables password-based login, and key-based SSH would still be enabled. Don't quote me on that though.

Beans

@steeldriver:
    That's right, but wouldn't that require keys to be created + copied to the client?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    ... something in the back of my mind says that setting no password on an account only disables password-based login, and key-based SSH would still be enabled. Don't quote me on that though.
    Are you thinking that some config file somewhere has a line that says something like "NoPassword mythtv"?
    Any idea which config file?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by neutron68 View Post
    Are you thinking that some config file somewhere has a line that says something like "NoPassword mythtv"?
    Any idea which config file?

Thanks!
    No, he's saying that the mythtv user doesn't have a password set, and that accounts that don't have passwords set can't login via SSH.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

sorry, just to clarify what I meant was that *if* the mythtv user had set up valid key based SSH authorization (or an admin user had created an inserted the keypair for the account) then just removing the account password would *not* be sufficient to prevent SSH login - it would only prevent password-based SSH login

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    No, he's saying that the mythtv user doesn't have a password set, and that accounts that don't have passwords set can't login via SSH.
    So, as long as making a user (with the newuser command) with no password is not prohibited, its ok to do so?

Eric
    Last edited by neutron68; January 15th, 2014 at 06:48 AM.