Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check if HDD has failed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Exclamation Check if HDD has failed

Hey everyone!

I need to know if an HDD has failed. This HDD has Windows on it, but whenever I try to boot from it, I get a BSoD error. What can I use from Linux to test the HDD? The BSoD error I get is 0x0000007B (0xBA4C3524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I've Googled the error, but haven't found any solutions. Any help is appreciated!
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Re: Check if HDD has failed

Hellllllllllllp please!!
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Please wait 24 hours before bumping a thread.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Please wait 24 hours before bumping a thread.
    Oh, sorry. You can delete this and the previous post I made.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can check the SMART parameters of the disk. Create an Ubuntu Live USB and boot from it. Use the Disk Utility and check the hard drive status. Search the web for any error codes that you find. There are so many things that can cause a BSoD, that it's hard to troubleshoot. The fact that you couldn't find any codes through google tells you that you probably have some random failure that could either be software or hardware related, though more likely hardware, since software errors tend to show up more consistently.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    You can check the SMART parameters of the disk. Create an Ubuntu Live USB and boot from it. Use the Disk Utility and check the hard drive status. Search the web for any error codes that you find. There are so many things that can cause a BSoD, that it's hard to troubleshoot. The fact that you couldn't find any codes through google tells you that you probably have some random failure that could either be software or hardware related, though more likely hardware, since software errors tend to show up more consistently.
    Thank you for replying. So I used Disk Utility to check the hard disk drive's status and it says the drive passed and is healthy, but that can't be true because I can't boot from it. I get the BSoD error. I can mount the drive in Linux and view the files. The error also told me to run CHKDSK /f from Windows. Is there a way I can use Linux to do that or is there a Linux equivalent?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

The disk may be fine, but files on it may be corrupt. This can be caused by mallware, or a hard reboot while writing. However, it could also be bad ram in the computer. Start with running memtest to make sure the ram is good. Then do a repair install of Windows, or just reinstall it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    The disk may be fine, but files on it may be corrupt. This can be caused by mallware, or a hard reboot while writing. However, it could also be bad ram in the computer. Start with running memtest to make sure the ram is good. Then do a repair install of Windows, or just reinstall it.
    I had tried to use the Windows CD to do a repair, but when I inserted the CD the setup started and just stopped and gave me the BSoD again. I'll try running the memtest. Oh, I forgot, I'm also not getting any video signal from the computer's VGA port. That's why I decided to plug the hard disk drive on my Linux computer and check it out there. So I wouldn't be able to run the memtest on that PC. I don't really know what I can do now.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

I was wondering if I could use this HDD as an HDD to just drop files on? Like music, pictures, etc. Is this a possible? Bad idea, good idea?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Yes. You can use it for whatever you want. Sounds like your computer died, and this part is fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast