Thread: VirtualBox Ubuntu guest- how to get higher resolution full screen? Windows 7 host

Beans

VirtualBox Ubuntu guest- how to get higher resolution full screen? Windows 7 host

I'm setting up an Ubuntu VM in my Windows 7 installation. I have an i7 processor, a dedicated laptop graphics card with 256MB video memory, and 6 GB RAM. I've allocated 128 MB video memory to the VM.

How can increase the VM's fullscreen resolution? Right now it's capped at 1024x768. My laptop screen is 1368x768(?).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu guest- how to get higher resolution full screen? Windows 7 host

While in the guest OS, have you installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Red face Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu guest- how to get higher resolution full screen? Windows 7 host

Quote Originally Posted by matthewkirsch1 View Post
    I've allocated 128 MB video memory to the VM.
    It will not fix your issue I suspect but you can actually allocate more video memory by altering the memory allocated to 'Display VRAMSize' in the xml file that controls the VM. Not sure what a safe upper limit is but I have allocated 256megs quite successfully. Q111's suggestion would point to a solution though...

Edit: Mind you the manual suggests that an increase may very well be useful:

Code:
    Video memory size

This sets the size of the memory provided by the virtual graphics card available to the guest, in MB. 
    As with the main memory, the specified amount will be allocated from the host's resident memory. 
    Based on the amount of video memory, higher resolutions and color depths may be available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; January 14th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu guest- how to get higher resolution full screen? Windows 7 host

Install the guest additions, and then you should be able to stretch the window to fill the full screen.