Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iTunes not 'Sharing' from Windows KVM on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: iTunes not 'Sharing' from Windows KVM on Ubuntu 12.04

Have just come across this recent post about KVM in 12.04. It appears to have a set of steps to follow in order to use bridging.

Beans

I'll give this a try and see if it works.

Beans

Hmmm, those /etc/network/interfaces settings are identical to the ones I have already. I guess the question is, how is the Windows VM getting its IP of 192.168.0.25 when the host has a static IP of 192.168.0.100, and that's what the bridge states in my /etc/network/interfaces? Does the bridging in KVM take care of giving the VM a unique IP?

Beans

I also just added a firewall rule to allow incoming and outgoing traffic for TCP port 3689. Still no joy.

Beans

I think I'm beginning to see why this is not working. The vibr0 device I listed previously is indeed what KVM is using as a network device, and it's on a different subnet than the rest of my network devices. So it seems as if KVM is using 192.168.122.x as a bridge, then assigning 192.168.0.x IP's to virtual machines, but they are all on what equates to a private bridge - not public. So now I'm trying to figure out how to change the 'virtual network' to be on the same network as everything else in the house.

Setting up this new virtual network on the correct subnet.

Beans

Well that didn't work. Any other ideas how I can get this bridge to work properly?

Beans

Okay, I tried to remove some complexity by setting the Time Warner Arris modem to bridge-mode, so it passes the full connection through to the AirPort Extreme. I still set the subnet as 192.168.0.x, to keep things simple.

I installed Firefox on the Windows 7 VM, and it turns out I can actually see the Plex Media Server on the host, as well as the host's other services. So it's just iTunes that's not sharing now. I'm going to post in the Apple Support forums to see if anyone can help me there, as they might have more extensive iTunes knowledge.

Beans

Figured it out - there was too much network complexity. I joined the WD MyNet network - the same one the Ubuntu Server is on - and the library showed right up. I'll be moving into a new house soon, and there will only be one wireless router, and the NAS will be connected via ethernet, so this won't be an issue then.

But fortunately, I've figured it out now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12