Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Get Ubuntu 10.04 working properly on the Toshiba A505 laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HOWTO: Get Ubuntu 10.04 working properly on the Toshiba A505 laptop

HOWTO: Get Ubuntu 10.04 working properly on the Toshiba A505 laptop

For those of you who are struggling getting Ubuntu working with the Toshiba A505 laptop (myself included), I've decided to write a step-by-step guide in the Tutorials & Tips section. The problems with this laptop and the various obscure fixes are described in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470732.

Table of Contents

1. Background Information
    2. Step 1: Actually getting Ubuntu installed!
    3. The Easy Way: Installing kernel 2.6.35-rc1
    4. The Hard Way: Recompiling the stock kernel with the copy_dsdt patch

1.0 - Background Information

Basically, the crummy BIOS built into the A505's motherboard messes up the DSDT frames and causes Linux (but apparently not Windows 7 ) to go crazy. Various things are broken including graphics, USB (!) support, internal webcam, and ACPI (!) support (aka no power management).

To get around this, a kernel patch was created that forces the kernel to reproduce each DSDT frame to avoid errors. Unfortunately, this patch did not make it into the stock Lucid kernel, so those affected are left with two options: install a newer kernel or recompile the old one with the patch included.

2.0 - Step 1: Actually getting Ubuntu installed!

Okay, the first thing you'll see when you boot the Ubuntu live CD is a BSOD (black screen of death). Lovely, isn't it?

1. As the live cd boots, there should be a (rather low-resolution) boot screen with a keyboard and an accessibility icon on it.
    2. Press any key and you should be taken to a main menu, just like earlier releases of Ubuntu.
    3. Press F6 (Other Options) and be sure "Safe Graphics Mode" is checked. Then hit 'Try Ubuntu without installing" or "Install Ubuntu" depending on your preference.
    4. Ubuntu and/or the installer should fire up with graphics working- albeit in low-res mode.
    5. Install Ubuntu normally, then proceed to one of the following two sections.

3.0 - The Easy Way - Installing kernel 2.6.35-rc1

1. First things first, we'll have to get around the BSOD (black screen of death) that you see booting your "brand new OS!" Unlike the live CD, the installed version of Ubuntu 10.04 has no "safe graphics mode." Instead,
    2. Hold SHIFT as you start your computer. After a few seconds, you should see a menu asking you which operating system to boot. Just go to the top option and press "E."
    3. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the end, and then type a space and "nomodeset."
    4. Press ENTER to boot, and Ubuntu should boot normally (again, in low-resolution mode).
    5. If you can, plug your laptop into Ethernet to get an Internet connection. Otherwise, download the following packages on another computer and transfer them using a flash drive.
    6. Download the 2.6.35 version of the Linux kernel at http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.35-rc1-lucid/:
      • Download the package "linux-headers-2.6.35-020635rc1-generic_2.6.35-020635rc1_[ARCH].deb," where [ARCH] is i386 (32-bit) or amd64 (64-bit).
      • Download the package "linux-headers-2.6.35-020635rc1_2.6.35-020635rc1_all.deb."
      • Download the package "linux-image-2.6.35-020635rc1-generic_2.6.35-020635rc1_[ARCH].deb," where [ARCH] is i386 (32-bit) or amd64 (64-bit).

7. Place all three packages under your Downloads folder.
    8. Open a Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type the following commands:
      Code:
      cd ~/Downloads
      sudo dpkg -i *.deb
      IMPORTANT: When you type the second command, you will be asked for your "sudo" password. Just type your normal login password, however you will NOT be able to see any characters (including *s).
    9. Close the terminal, and press Alt+F2.
    10. Type
      Code:
      gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
      and click "Run."
    11. Browse for the line that says "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=." In the quotes, add "acpi=copy_dsdt" (without the quotes).
    12. Open another terminal and type
      Code:
      sudo update-grub
    13. Reboot, and hopefullly everything will work properly!

After the new kernel is installed, you may find that wireless does not work. In that case you will have to download and install the drivers from realtek. Please do this on your own, I don't have time to write a new tutorial.

3.0 - The Hard Way: Recompiling the stock kernel with the copy_dsdt patch

This method
    involves recompiling your kernel with the copy_dsdt patch applied manually. It involves a fair amount of work in the command line, so be prepared for a lot of typing.

1. Perform steps 1 - 4 in the section above to get Ubuntu booted up.
    2. Plug your laptop into Ethernet to get an Internet connection.
    3. Open a Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal).
    4. Follow the steps at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=11 to recompile your kernel.

Well, that's pretty much it! Post back with any problems/suggestions/comments you guys might have.
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Toshiba Satellite A505. You will not BELIEVE all the problems I have with it. But hey, that's all part of the fun! Even if fixing something does take hours...

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Get Ubuntu 10.04 working properly on the Toshiba A505 laptop

So far so good thanx. havent gotten the wireless connection yet but im workin on it. but after loading the new kernal it seems my screen is like flashing well its like acting weird i dont know how to explain it. Its not like that tho when i load up the other non modified kernal or windows 7, any ideas

Beans

Wow, thanks a lot.

Just one question -- when reinstalling a new kernel (i.e. the easy option), do you think it is sufficient to install one of the v2.6.33 kernels instead of the newer v2.6.35? For example, the ones available here --
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....6.33.5-lucid/

Maybe I'm wrong, but part of me wonders if the 2.6.33 kernel has received more testing, and may be less prone to breakage... plus, it's less of a jump from the stock 2.6.32 lucid kernel. Anyway, bottom line: anyone know if the 2.6.33 kernel will work?

Many thanks!
    zeus77
    Last edited by zeus77; June 11th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zeus77 View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot.

Just one question -- when reinstalling a new kernel (i.e. the easy option), do you think it is sufficient to install one of the v2.6.33 kernels instead of the newer v2.6.35? For example, the ones available here --
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....6.33.5-lucid/

Maybe I'm wrong, but part of me wonders if the 2.6.33 kernel has received more testing, and may be less prone to breakage... plus, it's less of a jump from the stock 2.6.32 lucid kernel. Anyway, bottom line: anyone know if the 2.6.33 kernel will work?

Many thanks!
    zeus77
    Hi zeuz77,

I don't think so.

The CHANGE file doesn't show anything about the DSDT copy patch.
    But it will probably be added in future *.33 versions

So, the way you check out for yourself whether a specific kernel version will have the needed patch or not is simply looking for ACPICA changes regarding the DSDT tables at that file.

i.e in the 2.6.35 CHANGE file you get this:
    ACPICA: Update DSDT copy/detection.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markos7007 View Post
    So far so good thanx. havent gotten the wireless connection yet but im workin on it. but after loading the new kernal it seems my screen is like flashing well its like acting weird i dont know how to explain it. Its not like that tho when i load up the other non modified kernal or windows 7, any ideas

I am also having the same flickering type thing with my display. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hullo! After installing the basic system I am unable to find a login menu - I get the default background and control of the mouse - nothing else. Is this a typical problem for laptops of this type? I am using a Toshiba A505 S6005.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theviking10 View Post
    Hullo! After installing the basic system I am unable to find a login menu - I get the default background and control of the mouse - nothing else. Is this a typical problem for laptops of this type? I am using a Toshiba A505 S6005.
    Are you using 9.10 as your profile says or are you using 10.04... with 10.04 on the S6005 you should not have this problem... I dont.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gloria0227 View Post
    Are you using 9.10 as your profile says or are you using 10.04... with 10.04 on the S6005 you should not have this problem... I dont.
    I used 9.10 until I got my new laptop this april (the toshiba). I have been attempting to install 10.04 since.

However, yes - after installing the base system there is no login menu upon reboot. (however, there are the characteristic three drumbeats)

I have been logging in with ctrl+alt+F2. I am attempting your fix this Wednesday. (I have business on my windows machine to complete before then) Hopefully the new kernel will not have this issue.

An additional question: I have had much more success with Linux Mint on this machine. Do the kernel ppa archives for lucid support the new Mint as well?
    Last edited by theviking10; June 28th, 2010 at 07:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by theviking10 View Post
    I used 9.10 until I got my new laptop this april (the toshiba). I have been attempting to install 10.04 since.

However, yes - after installing the base system there is no login menu upon reboot. (however, there are the characteristic three drumbeats)

I have been logging in with ctrl+alt+F2. I am attempting your fix this Wednesday. (I have business on my windows machine to complete before then) Hopefully the new kernel will not have this issue.

An additional question: I have had much more success with Linux Mint on this machine. Do the kernel ppa archives for lucid support the new Mint as well?

HUZZAH! It works! Thank you! Now to deal with the flickering and wireless . . .
    Last edited by theviking10; July 1st, 2010 at 12:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gloria0227 View Post
    I am also having the same flickering type thing with my display. Any ideas?
    I too am having the weird flickery screen after following this HOWTO. It's so bad it gives me a headache. Can the OP acknowledge this issue and let us know if there's a way to fix it? My Toshiba (Satellite A505-S6005) has the Intel graphics chipset, do others have a different one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast