Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Configuring Logitech mice in Ubuntu 6.06: New Guide

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Configuring Logitech mice in Ubuntu 6.06: New Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    Have you tried btnx? You can find information via Google and in other forum threads. It's still beta and must be compiled, but especially given that evdev is harder to work with now than in previous versions of Ubuntu, it's probably worth your time to look into it. I think it still has a long way to go to be a major improvement over hand editing xorg.conf, but for some situations it works well.
    I just compiled and tried btnx and it doesn't seem to work for me. I am using an MX700 and had everything working fine in 7.10 but now 8.04 isn't working right. Originally I couldn't use my mouse at all. I went back and took out the evdev lines in my xorg and used the original lines and now I have a mouse. My forward and back buttons (where my thumb sits) no longer work in Nautilus but do work fine in Firefox. Which is what I went through all the work to get evdev working for in the first place (seriously Ubuntu...hours of work to able to navigate the filesystem easily?).

My understanding of the problem is that evdev no longer uses the "Name" option from xorg. Instead they are using the device id which I am not sure how to find.

The 7.10 portion of my xorg that worked:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Name" "Logitech USB Receiver"

And the relative cat info:

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c506 Version=0110
    N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:02.1-3/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb3/3-3/3-3:1.0/input/input2
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event2
    B: EV=20017
    B: KEY=ffff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=103
    B: MSC=10
    B: LED=ff00

Anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by totaldrk62 View Post
    My understanding of the problem is that evdev no longer uses the "Name" option from xorg. Instead they are using the device id which I am not sure how to find.
    In a truly brilliant move, the evdev/xorg developers decided Name was far too easy. The id you are looking for cannot be found except by looking in /dev/input/by-id/ (or /dev/input/by-path/, but some people have reported less success with that). From there, it's a bit of guesswork to figure out the correct device to use. Theoretically once you have the correct id, things should work more or less as in previous versions.

Beans

Indeed, the problem is that Name no longer works. After locking up my mouse several times I've got my G5 working just fine.

I listed the /dev/input/by-id directory and saw:

Code:
    usb-Logitech_USB_Gaming_Mouse-event-mouse
    usb-Logitech_USB_Gaming_Mouse-mouse
    usb-Microsoft_Microsoft_Digital_Media_Pro_Keyboard-event-kbd
    I first tried the "usb-Logitech_USB_Gaming_Mouse-mouse" entry but that made the mouse stop responding so I tried the "usb-Logitech_USB_Gaming_Mouse-event-mouse" entry, restarted once more and that got everything working perfectly.

Here's my xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    	Driver "evdev"
    	Option "CorePointer"
    	Option  "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB_Gaming_Mouse-event-mouse"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tetyl's instructions in the post above mine worked perfectly for me. i just replaced the name attribute with device and used the event-mouse entry that i found in /dev/input/by-id. awesome. thanks Tetyl!

Beans

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction? I have a Logitech Trackman Wireless, which worked out of the box in Hardy, with the following exception:

The 'scroll up' button (not moving the wheel, the button above it) scrolls up in Firefox and ALSO causes the browser to go back a page.

In other apps, the scroll up button works as expected. It looks like the button is mapped twice or something- btnx also suggested this.

My xorg.conf:
    http://www.pastebin.ca/1021083

cat /proc/bus/input/devices:
    http://www.pastebin.ca/1021085

Any ideas? I have tried all sorts of shenanigans, but am stuck with this irritation!

***EDIT*** After installing xbindkeys, I see the same behaviour in nautilus!
    It also is a problem in IE with XP under VirtualBox, but not when I boot into Vista. So it looks like an Ubuntu / X / Gnome problem or something.

***ANOTHER EDIT*** running xev, when I press the up button, it returns a press for both 4 and 8- corresponding to back and up- now we're getting somewhere... please give me the final piece of the puzzle!

Help! I'm stuck!

Thanks in advance
    Charlie
    Last edited by FokkerCharlie; May 18th, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: More clues found...

Beans

I have a Logitech V200. Does anyone have mouse cursor movement problems? When I try moving my mouse left or right, the cursor goes upleft and downright respectively.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.0.4 Hardy Heron on a Thinkpad T61.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"evdev"
    	Option		"Name"	"Logitech USB Receiver"
    	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
    	Option		"HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons"	"7 6"
    EndSection
    Side note: When running "xev", my left-tilt of the wheel is button 8 while right-tilt of the wheel is not captured by "xev".
    Last edited by strider2k; June 9th, 2008 at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Logitech mx518 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Documenting for future me. Logitech mx518 with all buttons available including the "switch application" button on the top. The xmodmap fix is for Firefox which changed to include horizontal scrolling; apparently bringing it inline with other GTK applications but breaking the ability to go back/forward using the thumb buttons.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
        Driver         "evdev"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB-PS.2_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse"
    EndSection
    ~/.Xmodmap
    Code:
    pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7
    If there's somewhere else I should be documenting this please let me know.
    Last edited by hemebond; June 11th, 2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Filename is .Xmodmap not .xmodmaprc

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There are 16 pages to this thread, with 40 posts per page, so I hope no one will be too angry if I just ask whether my case is the same as theirs, or if some portion of this thread will pertain to me.

Since installing Kubuntu Hardy, my Logitech optical mouse (USB with a mouse port adapter plug) has proven to be far too sensitive, and I can' t seem to modify the settings enough to make it behave. Right-clicking on links in Firefox works about half the time (that is, I get a drop-menu), while the rest of the time a ghost-click selects some menu item I don't want.

Also, my screensaver never activates - I'm assuming because of more ghost-signals from the mouse - and since this is my work comp, I kind of need to have my session lock if I'm away for too long.

Here's the pertinent lines from xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "CorePointer"
    EndSection
    Wow, even just now, when I right-clicked to get the "Paste" option, all I got to do was right-click, and it instantly pasted what was in my clipboard. At least it chose the right option for me. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
    Last edited by ricardisimo; June 14th, 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: clarification
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Anyone?
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking How I got my G7 Logitech mouse to work on Hardy

Here is how I got my G7 Logitech mouse to kick butt! I'm not sure what is entirely necessary, all I know is that it works the way I want it to This recognizes all keys (in xev, though I'm not sure it ever appeared correctly in there) except for the precision ones + (4) and - (5) on the mouse, but they were already working for me. I hope this helps everyone out there, because it took me staying up till 2:30 in the am to figure out.

in xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Logitech G7"
    	Driver		"evdev"
    	Option		"Name"	"Logitech USB Receiver"
    	Option		"HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
    	Option 		"Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-event-mouse"
    EndSection
    note: That Device portion above is all one line, copy and paste kids.

#then my server layout section looks like this

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"  
    	screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    	Inputdevice "Logitech G7"
    EndSection
    I'm not sure if this part is needed (but it is late, and it works this way, anyway the part that is changed/added was the Inputdevice "blahblahblah" part
    Ok, so save that xorg and restart udev, and reload your session (this is all explained more thoroughly in the first few lines of the very first post)

And finally I installed keybind from the first few lines of this post. Where my actual keybind file looked like this

Code:
    "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]""
      m:0x0 + b:7
    "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]""
      m:0x0 + b:6
    "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Home]""
      m:0x0 + b:8
    This gets the tilt on the mouse wheel all Hunky Dory with moving forward and backwards, and sets the thumb button to go to your home page.

I didn't bother doing the "cruise" feature because I think it is dumb. If you want to bind it like the others it is the 2nd button on the mouse. Best of luck!

Also, from experience: Having CorePointer in my xorg.conf forced ubuntu to ignore my monitor settings... so yeah, it was fun working my way out of that hole repeatedly.

For reference my computer looks like the following:
    compaq keyboard mouse duo where i only use the keyboard (wireless)
    logitech g7 mouse (actually had two spots in the cat file)
    Hardy Heron
    Compiz and Emerald are on there too making things difficult
    Monitor: Dell E172FP

Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 LastLast