Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Configuring Logitech mice in Ubuntu 6.06: New Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Question Re: HOWTO: Configuring Logitech mice in Ubuntu 6.06: New Guide

Quote Originally Posted by detyabozhye View Post
    Hmm, everything looks correct. Are you running regualr Xorg or Xgl?
    Edit: If you're using two devices on one receiver, the post under this one may be helpful.
    I am using Ubuntu right out of the box so I am assuming that it is Xorg, and I have only one device on this reciever, KB is ps2.

After creating the evdev rule and especially after a reboot shouldn't it show up on a
    Code:
    ls /dev/input/
    ? It wasn't, so I remembered another tutorial on the subject and added ACTION=="add" to my rules file to read:
    Code:
    ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{../name}=="Logitech USB Receiver", NAME="input/event9"
    It shows up now but X still wont start after double checking for typo's and syntax errors ( limited knowledge on syntax but I tried to duplicate my interpretation of your tutorial).

<< I love this guy, he reminds me of me, never give up, he WILL break through that wall..... one day.

EDIT: Ok, didn't realise that I needed to look at the old log file so here is the error output pertaining to the mouse.
    Code:
    (EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Configured Mouse"
    The /dev/wacom error is still present in both log files so I assume that it has nothing to do with the mouse problem.
    Last edited by hubacap; July 26th, 2006 at 06:02 AM. Reason: New Info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Question Re: HOWTO: Configuring Logitech mice in Ubuntu 6.06: New Guide

Thank you for HOWTO!

And how can i overlock MX510 mouse, like in Windows?
    USB max speed for mouse is 125Hz, but one program for Windows XP can overlock it up to 1000Hz (by changing driver).
    I want 250Hz..

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Configuring Logitech mice in Ubuntu 6.06: New Guide

Quote Originally Posted by detyabozhye View Post
    You have both connecting through one reciever, correct? In that case, you'ld have to set up Xorg a bit differently, and you might have to drop the udev rule. I think some people have gotten it to work, but I haven't, so I can't really say how to have both working through one receiver. It might help to look through some comments in the old thread.

These may be helpful:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=45
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=62
    Actually no. My keyboard is a regular Microsoft wired USB keyboard. My mouse is the Logitech G7 cordless. I have the G7 receiver connected to my monitor's USB hub, and the keyboard goes straight to the back of the PC.
    I don't really get why I would have 2 devices under the Logitech receiver -- I only have 1 cordless device, the mouse. But I'll check out those links when I have time and see if they help...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Lol I feel stupid, the evdev driver wasnt installed... Ok I gotta go do the rest of the tutorial
    Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

Beans
    Distro

Ok everything works (the on the fly 400 800 and 1600 are good enough for me )
    However, I was just wondering how you would bind the change application button (in windows when u hit it it gives you a little box with all the windows open and you can pick which one, its the one on the mx518 right below the lower reso.) to ALT-TAB (which does the same thing).

Im guessing it would be something like:
    "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Tab]""
    m:0x0 + b:8

in /root/.xbindkeysrc
    Though I dont know which button the change app. button is...

Another qustion, the mouse pointer sometimes freezes on the screen and the only thing that will fix it is if I unplug and replug the mouse. Just wondering what is causing this because I have had to move the usb to a front port so that it isnt so hard to unplug and relug and its real ugly...
    The only thing that I changed before this started happening is that I overclocked my cpu just a little, though I dont see how thats causing it and when I stop overclocking it still happened. (This comps a dual boot, and in windows the same thing happens cept a simple tap of the alt key fixes the mouse, which is still annoying).
    Last edited by BatteryCell; July 26th, 2006 at 05:03 PM.
    Isaac Asimov

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Seppel View Post
    Thank you for HOWTO!

And how can i overlock MX510 mouse, like in Windows?
    USB max speed for mouse is 125Hz, but one program for Windows XP can overlock it up to 1000Hz (by changing driver).
    I want 250Hz..
    This may be helpful: http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...INDEX+Hardware
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hubacap View Post
    After creating the evdev rule and especially after a reboot shouldn't it show up on a
    Code:
    ls /dev/input/
    ? It wasn't, so I remembered another tutorial on the subject and added ACTION=="add" to my rules file to read:
    Code:
    ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{../name}=="Logitech USB Receiver", NAME="input/event9"
    It shows up now but X still wont start after double checking for typo's and syntax errors ( limited knowledge on syntax but I tried to duplicate my interpretation of your tutorial).
    Hmm, the udev rule should work without ACTION="add", what was your
    Code:
    cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    again?

Quote Originally Posted by hubacap View Post
    << I love this guy, he reminds me of me, never give up, he WILL break through that wall..... one day.

EDIT: Ok, didn't realise that I needed to look at the old log file so here is the error output pertaining to the mouse.
    Code:
    (EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Configured Mouse"
    The /dev/wacom error is still present in both log files so I assume that it has nothing to do with the mouse problem.
    Yeah, the wacom has nothing to do with it. Though on another note, it's weird that Ubuntu sets up Xorg as though it has a wacom device even if it doesn't in the first place.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ewerx View Post
    Actually no. My keyboard is a regular Microsoft wired USB keyboard. My mouse is the Logitech G7 cordless. I have the G7 receiver connected to my monitor's USB hub, and the keyboard goes straight to the back of the PC.
    I don't really get why I would have 2 devices under the Logitech receiver -- I only have 1 cordless device, the mouse. But I'll check out those links when I have time and see if they help...
    Yeah, but your reciever seems to be recognized as both a keyboard and mouse. So somehow, you'll need to target only the mouse part.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryCell View Post
    Ok everything works (the on the fly 400 800 and 1600 are good enough for me )
    However, I was just wondering how you would bind the change application button (in windows when u hit it it gives you a little box with all the windows open and you can pick which one, its the one on the mx518 right below the lower reso.) to ALT-TAB (which does the same thing).

Im guessing it would be something like:
    "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Tab]""

in /root/.xbindkeysrc
    Though I dont know which button the change app. button is...
    Use xev to find out which button it is. As for using it for ALT+TAB, at the moment, that's not really possible. When you do ALT+TAB, you hold ALT and press TAB a few times till you get to the app you want to get to. xbindkeys will only do a press and release of ALT+TAB. You would need to build an app yourself to do that. I started planning one, but never really got to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryCell View Post
    Another qustion, the mouse pointer sometimes freezes on the screen and the only thing that will fix it is if I unplug and replug the mouse. Just wondering what is causing this because I have had to move the usb to a front port so that it isnt so hard to unplug and relug and its real ugly...
    The only thing that I changed before this started happening is that I overclocked my cpu just a little, though I dont see how thats causing it and when I stop overclocking it still happened. (This comps a dual boot, and in windows the same thing happens cept a simple tap of the alt key fixes the mouse, which is still annoying).
    hmm, looks like a hardware issue to me. I don't know.

Beans
    Distro

Um just pressing alt-F5 works too...and its button 8 so:
    "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[F5]""
    But that doesnt seem to work on mine...
    And other people have said its hardware as well but i dont see how it could be seeing as I just bought a new mouse (takin the advice) and its still happening, and the vid cards pretty new 2 so...Maybe its the drivers...Ill check on that.

edit:
    Wait it does work but only if all windows are minimized.
    Last edited by BatteryCell; July 27th, 2006 at 12:47 AM.
    Isaac Asimov

Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast