Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kali Linux - Live boot - Kernel Panic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Kali Linux - Live boot - Kernel Panic

running the memtest... this guy was getting the same error as me (Call Trace), and his solution lay in the bios setting... however, i havent upgraded/downgraded my bios at all.... havent touched it...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1874044

n00b ques: what is call trace?
    "Metallica doesn't suck, Motorhead just kicks way more fy! 5 bottles of whisky, 2 packs of smokes and fried bologna every day for forty years and i could have a voice like lemmy's" - -Some guys on youtube..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

memtest is 79%pass w/o errors... however, getting hotter with my research... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968798

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1843810&page=2
    "Metallica doesn't suck, Motorhead just kicks way more fy! 5 bottles of whisky, 2 packs of smokes and fried bologna every day for forty years and i could have a voice like lemmy's" - -Some guys on youtube..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

this is definitely a hardware issue now. managed to use the same pendrive with the same install on another machine.. everything is working spotless... Sony vaio, i3, whereas my machine is i5...

im a lil more convinced its a bios issue...

alternatively, also thinking of giving the 64bit version a shot... maybe thats the hang up...
    Last edited by cracker89; January 14th, 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well these all have different BIOS (somehave same/similar). it's best to consult the manufacturer's manual to see how to set up BIOS or UEFI as the usualyl use now.

another thing - do you mabye have UEFI? i was just thinking i can't remember if there was a kernel panic or not, but for some reasons i couldn't get the USB to boot on an older mashcine. itried a couple of boot creators. i tried the USB on another mashicne and it worked fine. the USB was even recognised propperly in BIOS. upon doing the disk check i got error on 1 or 2 files (can't remember). i didnt' get this error on another mashicne and i knwo the image was good. i almost went nuts with that install. took me 3 hours. i decided to sleep over it. next day i came armed with 12.04.3 32bit DVD sure enough it boots normal. upon install i found out that it seems the old disk died (still need to troubleshoot that) so i had to reinstall it putting the bootloader on newer disk. in the end all is well and works as expected (except i have 32bit OS on 64 bit CPU).

my point is that if you can, you could try to boot from DVD. perhaps there will be no errrors.

it's hard to say what went wrong or if there really is a hardware error - it could be an odd BIOS/UEFI setting, a hardware error, or it could be that you just need to use one of the boot options: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

edit: Also what system are we working on now?
    Last edited by mastablasta; January 15th, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    well these all have different BIOS (somehave same/similar). it's best to consult the manufacturer's manual to see how to set up BIOS or UEFI as the usualyl use now.

another thing - do you mabye have UEFI? i was just thinking i can't remember if there was a kernel panic or not, but for some reasons i couldn't get the USB to boot on an older mashcine. itried a couple of boot creators. i tried the USB on another mashicne and it worked fine. the USB was even recognised propperly in BIOS. upon doing the disk check i got error on 1 or 2 files (can't remember). i didnt' get this error on another mashicne and i knwo the image was good. i almost went nuts with that install. took me 3 hours. i decided to sleep over it. next day i came armed with 12.04.3 32bit DVD sure enough it boots normal. upon install i found out that it seems the old disk died (still need to troubleshoot that) so i had to reinstall it putting the bootloader on newer disk. in the end all is well and works as expected (except i have 32bit OS on 64 bit CPU).

my point is that if you can, you could try to boot from DVD. perhaps there will be no errrors.

it's hard to say what went wrong or if there really is a hardware error - it could be an odd BIOS/UEFI setting, a hardware error, or it could be that you just need to use one of the boot options: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

edit: Also what system are we working on now?
    no,, no UEFI. I tried booting on a system with UEFI, didnt even pick up my pendrive. no kernel panic..

hahah... sh*t that sounds like a real bummer. but if all this effort wasnt involved, I might as well BUY my OS from a shop window (pun intended)

hmmm... i thought of doing that too, the DVD install.. its on my agenda.

ooh oops. sorry, should have put up my system details in the begining itself... im working on a a Dell Vostro that came preloaded with Ubuntu. Full specs are here - http://www.dell.com/in/business/p/vostro-2520/pd

a couple of very busy days ahead.. will have to take out time...
    Last edited by cracker89; January 15th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@varun - there is truth to what you say about chipsets and pendrives... i took the same iso and put it on different pendrives, using the same installation method. i tried a transcend too . . but in the end i got SOME success with a little sony 8gb key.. but not victory. the iso was for back box, and with the sony key i was able to get the os loading, however, the boot happens way too quickly than on other systems and instead of getting the backbox desktop, im presented with a brand new ubuntu 12.04 (the os on sda), prompting me to make an account on ubuntu one... so yes. thats as far as ive been able to get till now... thank you for your help man...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The problem might be that the iso image wasn't written to the USB stick correctly so you could try again. If that dosen't work try a different program to put the iso onto the usb stick like UNetBootin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12