Thread: Recovering files from RAID array after crash after inconsistent filesystem warning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Recovering files from RAID array after crash after inconsistent filesystem warning

Hey peeps.

I've got an office samba fileserver running ubuntu. It's got filesystem issues and I'm trying to fix them with fsck. I'm not trying to restore ubuntu, at this point I'm just trying to recover files then start over from scratch. The fileserver has a total of four 1TB HDDs. There are two mdadm RAID1 arrays, (each array has two disks) which is complicating the file recovery. I'm looking for some guidance because I'm not confident I'm taking the right steps to saving the files.

Here's what I've done so far:

The filesystem went read-only, probably because of the ext4 filesystem inconstencies that dmesg reported:

Code:
    [1039664.515086] EXT4-fs error (device md0): ext4_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 31203443
    Whenever I tried to write to anywhere …

Code:
    $ touch ~/taco
    I got this error:

Code:
    touch: cannot touch `test': Read-only file system

(/dev/md0 is a RAID1 array made up of sda2 and sdd2 and is mounted at ’/’)

So there’s something wrong with the filesystem on md0. I wondered if it’s something raid related:

Code:
    $ cat /proc/mdstat
    Code:
    Personalities : [raid1] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid1 sda2[1] sdd2[0]
        972855232 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sda1[1] sdd1[0]
        3905472 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>
    I thought a quick fsck on all filesystems would be nice.

Code:
    # fsck -A -M
    It found lots of errors but I didn’t attempt to fix any of them. I ended up escaping (^C) the process. I wanted to be sure my data was safe before I did any repairing.

I went to the store and bought a 2TB external HDD. Hooked it up to the machine and tried to make a mountpoint for the HDD.

Code:
    # mkdir /media/rescue
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/rescue': Read-only file system
    ...right, there’s that whole issue. CRAP! I ended up using a dir that was already there, /dev/floppy0 as my mountpoint. With the external hdd mounted to /dev/floppy0, I used dd to make an image of the unmounted /dev/sdd on the external HDD, /dev/sde.

Code:
    # dd if=/dev/sdd conv=sync,noerror bs=64K | gzip -c  >/media/floppy0/sdd.img.gz
    Overnight, during the process, then the system crashed due to an unrelated problem that has been going on for four months where the system unexpectedly halts every other Thursday... Queue the "shame on you" comments!

I booted the machine again and it kernel panicked:

Code:
    run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory
    Kernel panic - not syncing: <something here I forgot to take note of>
    So I put in a xubuntu live cd and booted that.

I restarted the dd process and 18 some hours later, it completed. Now I want to re-assemble the raid array (on just 1 of the disks in the array so incase I mess something up I still have a backup) so I do:

Code:
    # mdadm --create --level=1 --force --raid-devices=1 /dev/md5 /dev/sdd2
    then I try to mount it

Code:
    # mount -t ext4 /dev/md5 /media/test
    ... I got a bunch of errors. in the mount output and dmesg, all of which I didn't take note of (oops.) Things like ext2 not found (this is an ext4 partition, why is it looking for ext2??)

I tried fsck.

Code:
    fsck.ext4 /dev/md5
    More errors about the superblock not being found, and "Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/md5"

I tried using backup superblocks as detailed on a blog post. but had no success using any of the backup superblocks.

I found a thread on another forum of a similar situation.

In said thread, a suggestion was given to re-create the filesystem. That seemed like a good idea so I did it:
    Code:
    mke2fs -S -b 4096 -v /dev/md5
    it took awhile then exited cleanly. next step:
    Code:
    e2fsck -y -f -v -C 0 /dev/md5
    took several hours, reporting and fixing seemingly millions of errors, then exited with a showstopping error:
    Code:
    Error storing directory block information (inode=7718975, block=0, num=5946778): Memory allocation failed
    e2fsck: aborted
    Poopy. I wonder if I can mount the array anyway...
    Code:
    mount -t ext4 /dev/md5 /media/test
    Code:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md5,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    dmesg output:

Code:
    [90571.857406] md5: detected capacity change from 996202635264 to 0
    [90571.857413] md: md5 stopped.
    [90571.857419] md: unbind<sdd2>
    [90571.877604] md: export_rdev(sdd2)
    [90664.946271] md: bind<sdd2>
    [90664.948382] md/raid1:md5: active with 1 out of 1 mirrors
    [90664.948398] md5: detected capacity change from 0 to 996202635264
    [90664.948880]  md5: unknown partition table
    [105570.762539] EXT4-fs (md5): ext4_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 1 not in group (block 0)!
    [105570.762545] EXT4-fs (md5): group descriptors corrupted!
    I'm stuck and stumped now because my plan to rebuild the filesystem failed because e2fsck couldn't allocate memory. Just looking for some guidance, anybody throw me a bone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Recovering files from RAID array after crash after inconsistent filesystem warnin

Am I on the right track? Did I do something wrong?
    Last edited by insanity54; January 13th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.