Thread: File management visible columns max total length problem especially name column

Beans

Question File management visible columns max total length problem especially name column

Is there a way to get the name column to display in the Files (Nautilus file management 3.8.2) window ?

At times, I like to see all data associated with my folders and files (preferences>visible columns> all checked). As it is now, when the window width is exceeded; adjustment of the column widths are often locked and the first displayed column (Name) is truncated to the point that it is not usable.

Sometimes the horizontal scroll bar is displayed and sometimes not; however either way, the name column is truncated to near nothing meaningful. I would think all columns could be displayed via horizontal scrolling at full column widths and the width of each column would always be adjustable regardless of the window size.

Sample attached (all column widths are locked). Scrolling shows data to the right; but does not alter the name column. Changing visible fields to name, modified, size, type unlocks width on all columns making complete name column visible.

Raleightom
    Desktop pc; Nautilus File manager 3.8.2;
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu 13.10; Linux x86_64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 ; Thunderbird/24.2.0 ; Lightning 2.6.4
    Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3h ; A8-5600K (Radeon HD7560D) 3.9Ghz Quad core; 8GB DDR3
    Attached Images Attached Images