Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you run a Ubuntu VM if you're a Canonical systems administrator?

Beans

Can you run a Ubuntu VM if you're a Canonical systems administrator?

Hiya! I'm considering applying as a Systems Admin for Canonical, and I'm wondering, can you run Ubuntu in a virtual machine to do the job, or do you have to run it on bare metal? Because I'm kinda strapped for hardware atm, only got one computer that works. And I could self-teach the required stuff as well, started teaching myself Python last week, and according the the description, Python an shell are preferred, although I also wanna teach myself C# or C++ sometime soon as well.

Also, what's the pay on average for this position?

And if a Ubuntu install on hardware is required, I'll have a computer free once I get my first desktop build overwith in the forseeable future, already a third of the way there by scrapping my old computer, and saving the case.

This is a serious question too, looking for some sort of employment that pays better than the part-time work-study I currently have, and home-based so I can just relax at the kbd.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; January 7th, 2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can you run a Ubuntu VM if you're a Canonical systems administrator?

Why not dual boot?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

80GB hard drive. Working with what I got here.
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think you'd have better luck getting your questions answered if you contact Canonical directly: http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/contact

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I did not know Canonical was hiring SysAdmins...

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a Lenovo W530 which uses Windows 8.1 as its main OS, and I have two 64bit VM's of Ubuntu on it, 12.04LTS and 13.10; I prefer VMware, others perhaps something different.
    It works with Ubuntu natively, as I have tried it, but the best video performance is still as a Windows main system, so I VM Ubuntu. Try it, its great.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    ^^^
    This.

Beans

I can't say for sure, but if I were hiring for that position, I wouldn't be impressed by a candidate who was running Ubuntu only in a VM. I would be thinking that either you didn't have the expertise to install and maintain it on real hardware, or weren't passionate enough about Ubuntu to want to commit your only machine to it. That's not what you want them to think about you if you want that job.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I can't say for sure, but if I were hiring for that position, I wouldn't be impressed by a candidate who was running Ubuntu only in a VM. I would be thinking that either you didn't have the expertise to install and maintain it on real hardware, or weren't passionate enough about Ubuntu to want to commit your only machine to it. That's not what you want them to think about you if you want that job.
    That's pretty much my feelings on it, but also, keep in mind that everyone has different priorities for what they use their computers for. I use Windows 90% of the time, but I also use Linux a fair amount.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast