Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod and ubuntu 13.10, do I format before?

Beans

Ipod and ubuntu 13.10, do I format before?

I had to switch to ubuntu after windows 8 basically blocked itself out on christmas day but since then I haven't able to add music to my ipod, it's even made some songs not play thought that might be cause it was plugged into my ps3?? Is there anyway to add music to my ipod? I've heard some say I need to format on windows which I can do on my sister's laptop but I want to know before I do that will work for sure. I'm on ubuntu 13.10 in case you didn't notice the title. I've tried banshee and rhythmbox

All help is appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help with ipod and ubuntu 13.10, do I format before??

What IPod model/generation is this?

Some models are supported in Ubuntu, some are not
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

If you have a jailbroken iPod Touch, then you can add music to your iPod using FTP or applications like iFile, and there are applications like Bridge(I haven't had it myself) or even iFile itself that add music files to your iPod music library. (they do always have problems with file tags, tough! at least track number was always 1 as I remember!)

Some old devices are supported by Banshee, Rhythmbox, gtkpod, but I could never sync even my 2011 iPhone 4S with any application other than iTunes! But If your device is even older, there might be a way

And BTW what iOS version are you running? Don't you have problems mounting your iPod on Ubuntu? and most importantly, as sandyd mentioned, what model and generation is it?

Beans

5th generation I believe and its not ios thingy so it should work right? Even when I delete stuff off of it through ubuntu it will still show on my ipod but it will crash the ipod if I try to play that song unless those songs were already like that before and I didn't notice because I tried it on songs I haven't listened to in awhile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by lizpy66 View Post
    5th generation I believe and its not ios thingy so it should work right? Even when I delete stuff off of it through ubuntu it will still show on my ipod but it will crash the ipod if I try to play that song unless those songs were already like that before and I didn't notice because I tried it on songs I haven't listened to in awhile
    Yes, it should work, even if it is mac formatted. Could you provide some more information? For example, what happens when you try to add songs using Rhythmbox?

Beans

So I need to format on windows or mac? It just says its added but when I eject and look at my ipod they aren't on there

Beans

oh and I re connect it, it acts as if no changes were ever made so it won't display the added songs when re connected after the eject.

Beans
    Distro

So I need to format on windows or mac? It just says its added but when I eject and look at my ipod they aren't on there
    oh and I re connect it, it acts as if no changes were ever made so it won't display the added songs when re connected after the eject.
    I'm not sure why that happens.
    Do you umount it (right clicking on its icon and selecting "umount" or "eject") before unplugging it?

There is also another option, Floola, that's the one I use for my 5.5gen Ipod, because it supports adding videos.

Beans

Yeah I always unmount it properly. I'll try Floola if it works then that would be awesome, if not still thanks for taking your time to answer

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I always unmount it properly. I'll try Floola if it works then that would be awesome, if not still thanks for taking your time to answer
    And don't forget there is gtkpod in the repos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast