Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ipod and ubuntu 13.10, do I format before?

Beans

Re: Ipod and ubuntu 13.10, do I format before?

For me Gtkpod only works on Ubuntu 10.04 and it works perfectly.

On 12.04 many have said it's "broken". It'll install but crashes and messes up file structure.

I'm using an iPod Classic 160g (with color video).

No one....let me repeat that...no one really knows how to get an iPod to work with Linux beyond Ubuntu 10.04 and those who say they do either can't or won't explain how they exactly did it.

Many suggest "PlayOnLinux" with Wine to use iTunes. Doesn't work for me or many other people and, yes, I've tried it with itunes 7, 10 and 11.

Most people suggest an iPod handling program with this caveat, "you can try program X...though I've never used it". So the best you'll get is hours of frustration.

There's a post on here where a guy says he's got Gtkpod to work for 12.04- http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-2028977.html

So far I can't get his method to work.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi PDA1.

My 160 gb ipod classic auto mounts on xubuntu 13.10.

I can add files, play files, and do every thing on xubuntu 13.10.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Re: Help with ipod and ubuntu 13.10, do I format before??

I tried gtkpod too and it didn't work, none seem work but interestingly enough artwork from an album I put on my ipod using one of the multiple applications, I'm thinking banshee, popped up on the ipod on a different band's album so it copied the artwork but not the music itself. It's not a space issue due to the fact I had deleted stuff to make room which didn't work either. I tried floola but didn't have enough room for that this time so I'm wondering if I format it on my friend's windows 7 computer then use it on ubuntu 13.10 will this work? I don't want to format it without knowing it for sure but unfortunately I might have to. Thanks again for all the help

Beans

The only way I got GtkPod to work beyond 10.04 is to use it with VirtualBox as mentioned here-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...pod+virtualbox

If someone on here says, "I've never done it before but try [name some program]...it should work." DO NOT waste your time- probably 99% of the time it won't work. My iPod Classic has over 4,000 songs and videos on it and messing up the file structure and creating many duplicates is what happened when I used Rhythmbox, Banshee etc. to try and manage my iPod. I've tried them all and they simply don't work and no one I've talked with knows how to make them work.

I hate windows and hate iTunes even more so using them isn't an option- unless my iPod is wrecked and needs all of the old files put back on it (which has happened only 2 times).

I wish the creator of GtkPod would fix the thing to work with no troubles on newer versions of Ubuntu. It really is (was) the easiest and best program for iPods.
    Last edited by PDA1; January 15th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Beans

Whoops...sorry folks. Double post.
    Last edited by PDA1; January 15th, 2014 at 03:26 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    Hi PDA1.

My 160 gb ipod classic auto mounts on xubuntu 13.10.

I can add files, play files, and do every thing on xubuntu 13.10.
    You got it working with Xubuntu?

Using what program and what configuration?

Beans

I've thought about a virtualbox but worried about using that, not sure if there is a risk to using it or not haha I'm new to all of this

Beans

Installing VB for me was another huge pain-in-the-neck. But as I mentioned in my linked post that was how I did it. It (VB running Ubuntu 10.04) and GtkPod work perfectly. I like to use FFMPEG (another horrific program to install, learn how to use and understand) and have various codes I use to convert videos so that they'll play on my iPod.

I'm a computer user and not a programmer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12