Thread: Unable to Log Into Server / Bounces back to Login Prompt

Beans

Unable to Log Into Server / Bounces back to Login Prompt

So I reboot the server using SSH via Putty. Attempt to log back in using putty and am greeted with an error "Server unexpectedly closed network connection". So I go to the server room and attempt login. However upon entering the user name and hitting enter I'm immediately brought back to the user name field with a brief screen flash. Any ideas? Using Ubuntu 12.04.4. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Unable to Log Into Server / Bounces back to Login Prompt

... something nasty in your .bashrc or .profile? have you tried connecting via putty with remote command /bin/bash --norc --noprofile?

Beans

Re: Unable to Log Into Server / Bounces back to Login Prompt

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    ... something nasty in your .bashrc or .profile? have you tried connecting via putty with remote command /bin/bash --norc --noprofile?
    I'm away from the machine at the moment but I believe an incorrect library was installed on this server which caused this issue. If memory servers me the package libpam-krb was installed and should not have. I booted to the recovery console and looked at the last commands run. I tried to purge it but it complained of access. Don't recall the correct verbiage at the moment.

Beans

[SOLVED] Unable to Log Into Server / Bounces back to Login Prompt

So I solved my issue by booting to recovery mode and choosing the fsck option. This allowed read write mode. I then removed the last package installed and was able to log in.