Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to access web. TP-LINK TL-WN725N wifi USB dongle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to access web. TP-LINK TL-WN725N wifi USB dongle

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface wlan0.IPv4 with address 75.157.12.208
    But nm-tool says:
    Address: 154.5.220.92
    Prefix: 22 (255.255.252.0)
    Gateway: 154.5.220.1

DNS: 75.153.176.9
    DNS: 75.153.176.1
    Do you have some settings applied in Network Manager? Ideally, it should be blank so that the DHCP server, I assume in the DSL modem, provides all the details. Please see attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I have to reboot the computer every time I switch between Windows and Ubuntu. That is why the IP address is different every time I post some results.

As I said, the DHCP server in the modem is turned off. My dynamic IP's are obtained from the service provider's DHCP servers.

Beans
    Distro

That is why the IP address is different every time I post some results.
    I can see it being 75.157.12.208 versus 75.157.12.212 or something similar, but changing to 154.5.220.92 is unreasonable. What is the answer here?
    Do you have some settings applied in Network Manager? Ideally, it should be blank so that the DHCP server, I assume in the DSL modem, provides all the details.
    As I said, the DHCP server in the modem is turned off. My dynamic IP's are obtained from the service provider's DHCP servers.
    I understand. However, the modem gets its IP address by DHCP from your ISP. The modem then hands that same address, not using DHCP, to the Airport and then to the computer.

By the way, isn't it safer to configure the Airport to use a private IP address like 10.0.0.xx or 192.168.0.xx rather than use a public IP address from Telus?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

The different IP ranges are normal. It is a large ISP and they have many addresses. For example, the computer I am using to write this reply (same access point) has IP 64.180...

I have disabled private LAN because it is much simpler to manage and troubleshoot. I am not bothered by security.

Beans
    Distro

If you get one address from the ISP and it is passed through the Airport in bridge mode, I don't see how this is possible. Where is NAT performed??

Sorry.

Beans

The ISP seems to provide as many IP addresses as are needed for all my computers to connect. This shouldn't be surprising, though, as this is how it was done when ISPs only gave out modems, before they started building routers into them. Perhaps there is no NAT, but if there was, it would be performed by the ISP.

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry. I can be of no further assistance. I don't understand your setup nor why it's set that way.

I see nothing here indicating that the USB dongle isn't operating correctly.

Beans

The setup is a simple straight-through connection. It would be the same thing if I plugged a computer directly into a "dumb" modem.

I think you are correct that the dongle is working correctly, because it works on the same computer in a different operating system. Therefore the problem lies somewhere in Ubuntu.

If it would make it easier for you to help, I can configure the network any way you ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Are you sure its v2? Lets check
    Code:
    lsusb

Beans

Can we also see the outputs of -
    Code:
    route -n
    sudo ufw status
    ..when you seem connected?
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast