Thread: Should UCE change the default desktop environment or shell?

Beans

Question Should UCE change the default desktop environment or shell?

I would like to see Ubuntu Christian Edition 14.04 based on Ubuntu GNOME, if Ubuntu GNOME is able to offer a LTS release. I would like to see support for both GNOME shell and GNOME fallback. GNOME shell is supported by 8 of the 11 distros that are defined as major on distrowatch.com. Unity is available in installer form only on Ubuntu and distros based on it.

In the 2013 linuxjournal.com Readers' Choice Awards, GNOME 3 was the choice of more readers than Unity, and Cinnamon and any other DE except for KDE. The three options based on GNOME 3 combined had more votes than KDE. In the 2012 linuxquestions.org Members' Choice Awards, GNOME shell was the choice of more members than Unity and Cinnamon. GNOME shell got 12.88% of the vote and that poll, and the reason it wasn't higher is due to the unusually high percentage of Slackware users that use linuxquestions.org. Slackware doesn't have an officially supported GNOME version available.

In my experience, I found that GNOME shell is a fast way to open up applications, faster than looking in a menu. However, I respect those who prefer the traditional menu. Also there is criticism over the Unity in Ubuntu 12.10 and newer sending queries in the Unity home lens to productsearch.ubuntu.com which some believe is a violation of privacy.

I would like your input on what you think should be the default DE or shell in UCE?

Beans

Re: Should UCE change the default desktop environment or shell?

Lately, I have been taking a liking to GNOME Classic mode. In that mode I can use keyboard shortcuts to open some applications and use the super key for those shortcuts. I did install Ubuntu CE on a laptop and I have been converting a Ubuntu 12.04.3 install on a desktop to Ubuntu CE. It's working well so far.

Beans

I went back to GNOME shell, after keyboard shortcuts were often failing to work on GNOME classic. I've switched to Evolution as my email client on the laptop because of its better integration with GNOME. I favor using GNOME apps with the exception that I like to browse with Firefox and use Libreoffice for writing and the spreadsheet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My preference is either KDE or XCFE desktop manager.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans

I am considering other possible desktop environment choices due to GNOME making Nautilus (Files) too minimalistic in GNOME 3.6 and higher along with issues with a new GNOME version breaking extensions. Some other possibilities. Cinnamon - Would work very well with a distro based on Linux Mint. I had to use the terminal to get touchpad tapping to work in the Ubuntu edition. Tapping became disabled after waking up from suspend. I also couldn't get screen lock to work. Would be an excellent choice if it could be made to work well in Ubuntu. MATE - Works well in Linux Mint. I needed to use synclient in the terminal to get touchpad tapping to work, touchpad tapping failed again after waking from suspend. KDE - Full featured desktop environment but heavy on the resources with many different default apps. Nevertheless first known Christian distro, the now defunct "Ichthux" used KDE. I will be testing Xfce today.
    Last edited by ronbu; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:13 PM. Reason: changed message

Beans

I tested XFCE. Tapping with touchpad is enabled out of the box. Only problem is that thunar and some terminal commands is getting an error message when accessing an encrypted home directory. This only occurs when logging out and logging back in without rebooting. Unmounting .gvfs solves the problem. This problem does not occurs when using other file managers. Also, the sleep button(s) does not work out of the box. I needed to make a shell script to get it to work along with screen lock. This is how it would work with upower enabled.

#!/bin/sh
    #
    # screensaver-lock and suspend to RAM.
    /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -lock
    dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

If, pmutils is being used for suspend on Ubuntu 14.04, a different script would have to be used. I plan to install Xubuntu 14.04 beta on a USB hard drive to test Testy Tahr. I also would like to install Linux Mint 16 on that same hard drive to test Cinnamon and Mate on LM. I have also worked with LXDE. There is already a Christian distro which is based on Lubuntu, but it has 32 bit only. I have tried Enlightenment, it does have plenty of power for it's size, but the default behaviors in regard to focusing windows and closing them are different than the most popular desktop environments. So, XFCE which finished second to KDE in the 2013 Members Choice awards is currently my favorite choice for desktop environment for UCE 14.04. However, the Ubuntu Mate repository had Mate 1.6. The latest is Mate 1.8 which I would like to test on Xubuntu 14.04 after that is on the Ubuntu Mate repository.

Beans

I was able to get touchpad click to work in both Cinnamon and Mate by changing the system settings. The problem of screen lock not working when waking from suspend in Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 is a known issue. Mate has now emerged as my favorite choice for a default desktop for the next UCE, although the name might have to be changed if all the components of stock Ubuntu 14.04 are not on the ISO. I give MATE the edge over XFCE due to a more pleasing default look.

Beans

I have canceled plans to install Xubuntu 14.04 beta and Linux Mint 16, because I do not want to take the extra time to configure and update two extra installs. The developers can install Ubuntu 14.04 to test Unity, and any other desktop environment that is being considered for inclusion in UCE 14.04. I would prefer the Cinnamon desktop if screen lock could be made to work when suspending to RAM or disk. Otherwise, I prefer Mate with UCE. Although, either desktop shell would work well in a Christian distro based on Linux Mint.