Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropbox quit working?

Beans

Dropbox quit working?

Hi, I use dropbox on Ubuntu 13.10 to import photos from my android phone, however dropbox quit working, I did the usual, uninstalled and installed, upon installation it says Nautilus needs to be restarted, so I click ok a few minutes later I click the dropbox iocn and wait, then a security box comes up saying it need authentication for super user permission but it never starts......why?

ant2 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dropbox quit working?

When you click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray do you get a pop-up menu? If so, try opening 'Preferences' then choose the 'Account' tab, hold down the 'ctrl' key and the 'Unlink Computer' button should change to 'Fix Permissions'. You could give that a try.

Beans

nope all I get is that dialog box about authorizing it, Is there any other way to fix it?

Beans

Ok guys I have no idea what I just did but I got it working
    I used the search to find it and totally uninstall it then went to drop box's site and downloaded the 32 bit for Ubuntu and used the software center to install it and no it works like its supposed to and I was already logged in so it HAD to be a issue between the software center and my computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading or partitioning.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Ran into the problem myself. All is well now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I had a similar problem, running Ubuntu 13.10. Dropbox suddenly no longer appeared in the tray. I tried

dropbox stop

and

dropbox start

on the command line, which revealed the following error message:

VerificationError: importing '/home/myusername/pylinux/__pycache__/_cffi__xa0c4f46bx1d95b4de.so': No module named _cffi__xa0c4f46bx1d95b4d

I tried all kinds of things, restarted the computer, uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled it, removed the configuration files (.dropbox in the home directory) -- nothing helped. Finally, I located cffi/verifier.py in /var/lib/dropbox and removed the whole folder by running

sudo rm -r /var/lib/dropbox/

Then I uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled it using the Software Centre. Finally, this got dropbox working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The lesson here is that when an online service, like Dropbox, stops working, don't immediately leap to the conclusion that it's a local problem and start adding and removing things. Check if the site is down first.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    The lesson here is that when an online service, like Dropbox, stops working, don't immediately leap to the conclusion that it's a local problem and start adding and removing things. Check if the site is down first.
    Well, I pinged dropbox.com and that was "up". But I totally agree with giving online stuff some time. Outages aren't uncommon.

I've seen "panic" responses on the day Google Chrome updates. People get errors and assume something's wrong with their setup. Just trying a few hours later without any uninstalling/reinstalling, logging out and in, or rebooting often sorts things out.

Beans

I just found a solution that worked for me.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist
    dropbox start -i
    These commands will reinstall dropbox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast