Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hp pavilion dv6 graphics card -- making it work

Beans

hp pavilion dv6 graphics card -- making it work

Ubuntu is a dream come to true to me as far as I'm concerned. I love how slick it is, and the UI.

But I'm weird. I MUST feel like I'm doing everything as optimally as possible, or it just drives me nuts.

Last night I tried to set up cgminer so I could mine me some coinyewest.

This made me aware that my graphics card isn't being detected properly.

In several concerted efforts to make this work, I've managed to break 2 different installation attempts today. Installing for a third time in 24 hours as I type this.

So even though I've pretty much given up on mining coinyewest, I'd like to be able to get in on the launch of other p & d coins as they come out. Not to mention, I'd just like to feel like all my hardware is working.

So my computer is an HP Pavilion DV6 (cant figure out the exact model, sticker on bottom doesnt seem to have it).

lspci | grep vga informs me that the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 4200 series (I think it's an integrated graphics chipset, which means its supposed to be able to swtich back and forth between a lighter card and a real card, but I haven't figured out anyway to verify this, i've tried tutorials for both assumptions already though, pretty sure its one of those swtichy versions).

The last tutorial I was looking at, that I haven't tried yet, suggests using an older version of AMDs catalyst drivers (12.6, when the newest is 13.1). So I'm probably going to try that now (after install finishes).

I was just wondering if anybody else has a computer like mine and has been in my position? what worked for you? im trying to use 12.04 because upgrading is a pain, id rather just run an os for four years.

3D seems to work after a base install in spite of miners not working, so I think whats happening is its defaulting to the discrete one, and outright ignoring the other (which is why ive been able to run ubuntu all this time without really noticing)

anyways... install finished, need to restart computer and update (again).

hope somebody can shed some light on this...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: hp pavilion dv6 graphics card -- making it work

Hello!

What version of Ubuntu are you running?
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Wow what a quick response!

I'm using 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Which version of 12.04?

With 12.04 and 12.04.1 you are OK with that card.

Also, is that the only GPU or does it have an integrated Intel graphics unit?
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

ooooh... i always run the updater to the fullest, i believe its 12.04.3 -- although I just did a completely fresh install (that im probably about to break again lol) also i believe there is an integrated intel graphics unit
    Last edited by merockstar; January 9th, 2014 at 07:29 AM.

Beans

alrighty...

every single tutorial on this matter I have attempted to follow has resulted in me getting a blank screen when I go to reboot my computer (and the only way I know to fix it is to outright reinstall the whole OS... this is the fourth time ive done it now).

5 bucks worth of btc to the person who helps me to get this to work... (you know its gonna be worth like 5 grand in a few years...)

Beans

X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 153 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
    Serial number of failed request: 12
    Current serial number in output stream: 12
    Thats the error i get from fglrxinfo when trying this tutorial: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12429.../129200#129200

google it, pick ANY tutorial on the subject, post it, and i can post the error i got.

Beans

it seems this is actually supported now...

found this :http://rudrageek.com/linux-now-suppo...-ubuntu-13-10/

also found https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/HybridGraphics

wondering which would be the better tutorial to follow now... the later is more current by about a month...

but it suggests using "fglrx-experimental-13" instead of just fglrx like the first one does.

I'm wondering, what is the difference?

If i use the experimental one, that means when a new one comes out I'd have to uninstall it and install the next iteration, right?

also the later tutorial recommends installing raring first.

can anyone clarify this for me??? I think i'm close to an answer here... (btw the 5 dollars in bitcoin offer is revoked if this ends up being the solution, since i spent all night digging it up myself )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Supporting Hybrid Graphics is a very different situation from supporting "legacy" AMD video chipsets.

AMD dropped Linux support for the HD 2x/3x/4x-series chipsets last summer. The now-called "legacy" drivers are incompatible with the X-server version that came out starting with Ubuntu 12.04.2. Just checked on the AMD drivers page and even though it shows supporting Ubuntu 13.10, it still clearly states
    to Xserver 1.12
    -- which rules out any Ubuntu version newer than 12.04.1.

Sorry, but you're relegated to the default Radeon drivers for newer Ubuntu versions.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; January 9th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it seems to me the method is using repositories. and from what i understand when repository is updated, you pull down the updates as well.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast