Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SteamOS Didn't Use Ubuntu Over Legal Issues ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: SteamOS Didn't Use Ubuntu Over Legal Issues ?

If Debian were to adopt the same approach towards Ubuntu as whose approach to whom? Debian's to Mint? Ubuntu's (previous) (un)relationship with Mint? Ubuntu's with Valve? (Ubuntu does not use Debian branding, which is what Valve didn't want to pay for from Ubuntu.)

And which bit is going to turn nasty?
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    If Debian were to adopt the same approach towards Ubuntu as whose approach to whom? Debian's to Mint? Ubuntu's (previous) (un)relationship with Mint? Ubuntu's with Valve? (Ubuntu does not use Debian branding, which is what Valve didn't want to pay for from Ubuntu.)
    Let's see, mint does not use ubuntu branding, valve could easily strip out the ubuntu branding it's not complicated. I sense a bit of zealotry here, an objective person would question where all this is going.

Oh well suppose I just see things differently. That concludes my .02c worth.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Stripping Ubuntu branding is exactly the point.

If Steam had just stripped the Ubuntu branding, this discussion would not be happening.

You want to use the branding, you pay. You want to base it on Ubuntu unbranded, no problem.

Where is the zealotry?

Beans

Bacon said that was only his guess. So we don't really know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Stripping Ubuntu branding is exactly the point.

If Steam had just stripped the Ubuntu branding, this discussion would not be happening.

You want to use the branding, you pay. You want to base it on Ubuntu unbranded, no problem.

Where is the zealotry?
    And Linux Mint which uses no Ubuntu branding?

I doubt Valve would have an issue stripping out the Ubuntu branding. Does not really matter now as they did not use ubuntu for steamos.

Beans

I think the relationship would be mutually beneficial. It is a shame that they couldn't work it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    And Linux Mint which uses no Ubuntu branding?

I doubt Valve would have an issue stripping out the Ubuntu branding. Does not really matter now as they did not use ubuntu for steamos.
    Then you misunderstand what was being claimed, and I still don't understand what you're claiming, which is why I asked for clarification. Whose relationship with whom?

Again, the only thing on the table that Valve would ever have to pay for is the Ubuntu branding, which is the only part of the package Ubuntu owns. Ubuntu distributes closed-source components, but its own software is all open.

Mint doesn't use anything from Ubuntu, because it's now Debian-based. Back when it was Ubuntu-based, you're exactly correct that it used no Ubuntu branding and wasn't required to pay a dime to Canonical, which was exactly my point. As I understand it, Ubuntu was also an awful upstream to deal with for the Mint folks, which is probably why they switched to Debian.

I am, in fact, questioning where this is all going. I'm not assuming that I know where it's going, and I can't assume that I know where you think it's going until you tell me. I don't appreciate being called a zealot for asking for clarification on loaded references you expect me to get that I literally don't understand. = /
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is debian based...but all the other versions of mint (including the main edition) are based on ubuntu or it's various community distributions such as Xubuntu (Mint XFCE edition) and Kubuntu (mint KDE edition) so where did you get the idea that linux mint is no longer based on ubuntu? And they don't pay anything to ubuntu because it is open source and they don't use any ubuntu branding of course on the distribution itself...So, other then LMDE, all the other editions of mint use plenty of ubuntu...
    Last edited by craig10x; January 10th, 2014 at 06:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Bah - I agree with Valve/SteamOS. Eliminate the middle-man (ubuntu). I can imagine the head-shed at the time - "...'ya know, this steam-thingy business plan looks good. We need to get in on this for marketing...lets charge them a boatload and demand they use our developers..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu only benefits from exposure if the product exposed is functional. They would, indeed, have a new downstream to be very careful about developing for. So it's only "let's make them use our developers" as much as it is "and we hereby all become unofficial developers for Valve."

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is debian based...but all the other versions of mint (including the main edition) are based on ubuntu or it's various community distributions such as Xubuntu (Mint XFCE edition) and Kubuntu (mint KDE edition) so where did you get the idea that linux mint is no longer based on ubuntu?
    A Mint user. He seems to have exaggerated. Obviously, Mint is quite open about its Ubuntu base.

And they don't pay anything to ubuntu because it is open source and they don't use any ubuntu branding of course on the distribution itself...
    Now you're saying a thing I said as if you're correcting me. You corrected me on the other thing. This thing is a thing I said.

Edit: Best I can tell, mips was saying, "what if Debian started treating Ubuntu like Ubuntu treats its downstream," originally meaning Steam and, after the branding thing was clarified, meaning Mint. I think there are two answers to that question. First, yes, being downstream of Ubuntu seems like an unfavorable place to be, although the issue with Valve actually illustrates nothing about that issue, because the deal was rejected on the basis of something that doesn't apply to either Debian's or Mint's relationship to Ubuntu. Second, Ubuntu has a very strong relationship with Debian that's not comparable to Mint's respin of Ubuntu, which uses Ubuntu code but doesn't engage with Ubuntu developers in my limited knowledge of the subject.

The Ubuntu-Debian relationship is the kind of relationship (between people and projects, not just codebases) I would have liked to see Canonical form with Valve.

Edit again: All built on the assumption that Valve really did reject Ubuntu because they didn't like what the logo would cost, which is very much an assumption about an open question, so insert "apparently" where appropriate above.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; January 10th, 2014 at 11:30 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast