Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple servers on a IP class from my ISP

Beans

Multiple servers on a IP class from my ISP

Hello there.
    I have a dedicated server connected with a static IP Address and a PPPOE connection. On this server i have installed Ubuntu Server 12.04 (LAMP + a control panel).
    Everything works fine (web, mail, ftp services , etc).

Meanwhile i have bought another dedicated server. I spoke with my ISP and i asked for an upgrade for my internet connection.
    They told me that they can give me a class with 8 static IP Addresses and this modification can be done from their servers without any modification of the physical equipments.
    That means that i have to buy a router? And if so how should i make the ip allocation so that every server to have an unique IP from that class of 8 IP`s? This means that i have to make port forwarding from my router for pointing to that 2 servers and at the same time every server to have an unique IP from that class of 8 IP`s?

How can I technically do that?
    Thanks in advance !

Beans

Re: Multiple servers on a IP class from my ISP

I fount some pictures to desribe my situation:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by avaserver View Post
    Hello there.
    I have a dedicated server connected with a static IP Address and a PPPOE connection. On this server i have installed Ubuntu Server 12.04 (LAMP + a control panel).
    Everything works fine (web, mail, ftp services , etc).

Meanwhile i have bought another dedicated server. I spoke with my ISP and i asked for an upgrade for my internet connection.
    They told me that they can give me a class with 8 static IP Addresses and this modification can be done from their servers without any modification of the physical equipments.
    That means that i have to buy a router? And if so how should i make the ip allocation so that every server to have an unique IP from that class of 8 IP`s? This means that i have to make port forwarding from my router for pointing to that 2 servers and at the same time every server to have an unique IP from that class of 8 IP`s?

How can I technically do that?
    Thanks in advance !
    Yes you need a a router to manage your network. The network range you have provided is incorrect however. With IPv4 addressing and CIDR, you still have to be mindful of the subnet boundaries. This means you can have a network of 88.34.223.16 /29 (.16 to .23) or 88.34.223.24 /29 (.24 to .31). You can't have some from one subnet and some from another.

The ISP will supply the WAN side IP and you use your allocation on the LAN side (6 hosts + netID and broadcast address). There is no need to use NAT in this setup.
    Last edited by bab1; January 8th, 2014 at 09:07 PM.
    -BAB1

Beans

If i don`t need NAT, means that i cand use a switcher too?
    The IP`s from the picture above are not real. I copyied them from a tplink router website.

Actually my ISP gave me a subnet 188.xx.xxx.208/29 (8 hosts...actually 6 hosts). That means that i can use: .209/.210/.211/.212/.213.
    That means that i cand use a switcher. The main cable in switch came with .208 IP so i can configure Server1 with eth0 IP: 188.xx.xxx.209 and Server2 with eth0 IP:188.xx.xxx.210. And both server with subnet 255.255.255.248 and gateway: 188.xx.xxx.208.

That sould work?
    Last edited by avaserver; January 8th, 2014 at 08:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If i don`t need NAT, means that i cand use a switcher too?
    Not sure what you mean by switcher. The network will need a router that will connect your LAN to the ISP. The device can have just a WAN connection and a LAN connection. Then you would need a switch that connects to the router. The switch is what you connect the PC's to,

The IP`s from the picture above are not real. I copyied them from a tplink router website.

Actually my ISP gave me a subnet 188.xx.xxx.208/29 (8 hosts...actually 6 hosts). That means that i can use: .209/.210/.211/.212/.213.

The range is .208 to .215 so you have usable .209 to .214
    That means that i cand use a switcher. The main cable in switch came with .208 IP so i can configure Server1 with eth0 IP: 188.xx.xxx.209 and Server2 with eth0 IP:188.xx.xxx.210. And both server with subnet 255.255.255.248 and gateway: 188.xx.xxx.208.

That sould work?
    Not exactly correct. The gateway should not be the Network ID (.208). It is the LAN side address of the router (switcher???). The subnet mask is correct at: 255.255.255.248. All of the IP addresses left can be used for your PC's. The gateway address can be any of these but it is usually the first (or last) in the available range. Remember, the netID (.208) and the broadcast (.215) should not be assigned to a device (PC, Printer, etc).
    -BAB1

Beans

So it means that:
    188.xx.xxx.208 - Network IP
    188.xx.xxx.209 - Server1
    188.xx.xxx.210 - Server2
    188.xx.xxx.211 - Server3
    188.xx.xxx.212 - Server4
    188.xx.xxx.213 - Server5
    188.xx.xxx.214 - Server6
    188.xx.xxx.215 - Broadcast IP

And the Gateway - any ip from
    .209 to .214
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
    And how should i configure exactly my rooter with the NAT disabled?

I was wondering if i can use only a switch (or network hub) and not a router.
    Because my ISP gave me statical IP`s it is not an DHCP connection.
    Last edited by avaserver; January 8th, 2014 at 09:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So it means that:
    188.xx.xxx.208 - Network IP
    188.xx.xxx.209 - Server1
    188.xx.xxx.210 - Server2
    188.xx.xxx.211 - Server3
    188.xx.xxx.212 - Server4
    188.xx.xxx.213 - Server5
    188.xx.xxx.214 - Server6

And the Gateway - any ip from
    .209 to .214
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
    And how should i configure exactly my rooter with the NAT disabled?

I was wondering if i can use only a switch (or network hub) and not a router.
    Because my ISP gave me statical IP`s it is not an DHCP connection.
    The gateway is one of those IP addresses. The device has both a ISP address interface (WAN) and a LAN interface (eth0 or somesuch). The router (gateway) routes the ISP network to the LAN network. So if we take your setup we would have this
    Code:
    188.xx.xxx.208 - Network ID # this is the ID number of this subnet)
    188.xx.xxx.209 - Gateway (router LAN side Ethernet IP address)
    188.xx.xxx.210 - Server1
    188.xx.xxx.211 - Server2
    188.xx.xxx.212 - Server3
    188.xx.xxx.213 - Server4
    188.xx.xxx.214 - Server5
    Once again the ISP address is on the WAN side of the router. Kind of like this
    Code:
         WAN side
              |
              |   ISP controlled 
    ------------------------       <- This is the router
              |
              |
              |  188.xx.xxx.209  <-- The Gateway!
       LAN side (your network)
    You need a router. You can't use a hub or plain switch. A hub or switch only understands Ethernet. The WAN to LAN connection works with TCP/IP to route the packets. This is not a connection like a phone. This is multi layered packet switched internetworking.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In my opinion, a switch could be used and a router is not needed.
    I have two static IP addresses (although my ISP still makes me use DHCP to fetch and lease those static IP addresses), and I use a switch between my DSL modem and whatever I have at static IP address 1 and static IP address 2.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

If you have never tackled something like this before, I suggest you ask the ISP for help. I'm surprised they aren't providing you with a router as part of the service package.

Otherwise you could use an Ethernet switch to interconnect the Internet-facing machines, and use one of the Linux machines as a NAT router for any clients you might have. In this case, you'd have at least the Ethernet line from the ISP going into the switch, along with the public-facing ports of any servers. All these machines should use the gateway address your ISP provides. If you equip one of these machines with a second Ethernet card, you can create a private network behind that machine and have it act as a masquerading router.

But again, unless you have some experience with networking, get help from the ISP. They can probably ship you a pre-configured router that you just need to drop into your network.

You'll also need to think about how to firewall this configuration. The public-facing machines, in particular, should only have ports open for the services they offer.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    In my opinion, a switch could be used and a router is not needed.
    I have two static IP addresses (although my ISP still makes me use DHCP to fetch and lease those static IP addresses), and I use a switch between my DSL modem and whatever I have at static IP address 1 and static IP address 2.
    I would assume that if the ISP assigned me "a block of IP addresses" in the form of a subnet that I would control those IP addresses (in the inside of my LAN) The ISP then would only have control of the WAN side interface.

What you are describing is more like a block of IP addresses in a larger network that the ISP controls. This sounds like how the cable companies in the USA handle it. In that case a simple switch would work. I have my doubts about this solution as the OP did not describe it as so.

We shall see.
    -BAB1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast