Thread: Can't read CD-Rs but I can read DVDs

Beans

Can't read CD-Rs but I can read DVDs

Hello every one I hope you are all well and safe.

My little problem is that I can read and write DVD disks without any problem at all; using a samsung Super Writer SpeedPlus.

The minut I put in a CD-R disk to use; the disk won't show up at all.

Is there a script that I can edit ?

I am hoping to resolve this so I can install the Epson printer drivers on my virtualbox windows 7 installation.

Beans

Re: Can't read CD-Rs but I can read DVDs

Hello Bryce_hutchison,
    I too had the same problem about a year ago. Have two CD-DVD Rw's. One only reads DVD's and the other one only CD's. After testing them in various machines and different Window and Linux versions, I assume the drives just wore out. Sorry but thats the best I can tell. As for the Epson drivers, just go to their website if you have an internet connection and download the latest drivers for your printer. I do it all the time because I can never find my orginal CD's.
    Hope this helps.
    magpie

Beans

Thanks for your time and efort to reply; and I think I have found the problem with the CDs. Aparrently some of the CDs on the market have a particular coating wich is not recognized by the linux cd drivers which would explain
    why I can read and write to DVDs and not CDs. Unfortunatly the CDs that I can only access locally are (you gest it) the ones that won't read or write.
    So now I save everything on USB sticks instead.

As for the Epson drivers, I took your advice and all is well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

similar issue but the other way arround on WinXP. turns out that drive was malfunctioning. i think there is a separate lense or laser for DVD and CD. which owuld explain the drive could continue to read CD and not DVD. it seems the DVD lense or laser or whatever got damaged. i could still burn them, just not read them. replacing the drive solved the issue. they are relatively cheap anyway.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

i think there is a separate lense or laser for DVD and CD.
    That is the case as the laser beam is actually a different size for DVDs than it is for CDs.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.