Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One your computer - ONE BUTTON for end-user

Hybrid View

Beans

One your computer - ONE BUTTON for end-user

Tune your computer - ONE BUTTON for end-user

Windows is rich on this type package. For many years I have been using
    a) Iobit Advanced SystemCare - comprehensive, press one button it does all the job
    b) ToolwizCareFree - very fast, quick cleaner

Here in Ubuntu 13.10 I am looking at 2 applications:
    a) Synaptic Package Manager - very comprehensive, a bit slow
    b) Muon Package Manager - fast

As end user, I am afraid to use these Managers and make a mess out of my system.

My wish is that the developers of those two packages would invest a little to implement the ONE BUTTON SOLUTION special for End Users like me.

First step: run analysis of exists inside my computer, and find out whatever needs doing.
    Second step: Ask the question, if this repair will take a long time, needs WiFi connection, run it now or later.

Thanking you for your kind attention.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: One your computer - ONE BUTTON for end-user

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

First step: run analysis of exists inside my computer, and find out whatever needs doing.
    That is already done, to a great extent.

Have someone else make all the decisions? Sorry. I don't want someone deciding that for me on my Linux machine.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

By the sounds of it, you want a Linux Windows. That's not going to happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There used to be a thing called "computer janitor," right? But yes, Ubuntu handles most of these things internally, such as via the package manager itself (even when you're using Ubuntu Software Center instead of Synaptic.) There's no real need for those kinds of applications even in Windows, because they're frankly a bit scammy, but there's even less need in something like Ubuntu. (Likewise OSX, iOS, or Android, all of which also do internal housekeeping.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

If you're afraid to use a package manager (why?), wouldn't you be absolutely terrified to use a "one button solution"? I love package managers, but the one button idea does scare me.

Beans

One Button to rule them all, One Button to find them,
    One Button to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know, but whenever I install Ubuntu, after I boot in the new install the first time, I normally get a notification for any additional drivers my system can use. Such as graphic card drivers and any wireless card driver if available.
    I also notice that if I ignore the suggestion of installing those drivers that first time, I don't see those notifications again.

Also, in the update manner of 12.04, the old style update manger would display numbers in the icon, which told the user that X-number of updates where ready to download and install. It too would show a notification of updates, like the additional drivers, but those notifications would keep appearing until I installed them.
    I can't remember if newer version of update-manger notifies of newer updates. But I think it does.

Outside of those two things, why would you need a one button solution to figure out what the system needs done.
    All the system configuring should have been done mostly during the installation.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Soibel View Post
    Tune your computer - ONE BUTTON for end-user
    Here in Ubuntu 13.10 I am looking at 2 applications:
    a) Synaptic Package Manager - very comprehensive, a bit slow
    b) Muon Package Manager - fast
    As end user, I am afraid to use these Managers and make a mess out of my system.
    Doesn't this actually need 2 buttons? End users cannot run Package Managers without additional prompting (sudo password), IIRC.
    There is no "one button" fix or "undo".

Your fear will alleviate when you find that the folks who built the OS have probably seen every situation that the "end user" can get himself
    screwed up on, and have prepared for it.
    They wouldn't allow "end users" to push a single button and hose the system.

Just my opinion.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The ability to easily revert changes from the Software Center's History tab would be useful and "one-button" in the actual sense of the phrase, if not literally involving one button. Hell, it might be a right click and a menu option, then an authentication prompt, which technically does involve exactly one button. = )

I don't think that's what the OP is looking for, however.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast