Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: missing wireless driver for Thinkpad T440s?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: missing wireless driver for Thinkpad T440s?

I think your suggestions are all quite correct, Varun. I might just look in the log to see what the driver and NM are doing at this time.
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e rtl -e etwork | tail -n20
    For couple of times I got too many Invalid misc:
    I don't think that's terribly serious, unless you are losing data. Are you?

My wireless is, as far as I am concerned, near perfect. It says:
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"my_router"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:5.805 GHz Access Point: xx:D7:19:41:54:xx
    Bit Rate=108 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=50/70 Signal level=-60 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:3919 Invalid misc:119 Missed beacon:0
    Last edited by chili555; February 10th, 2014 at 06:13 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks for the help Ubuntians. Appreciated.

I did try what Varun suggested by disabling hw encryption, ips, fwlps. Didnt help. Right now, I've loaded RTL8192EE on separate ubuntu installation so that my current wont be affected. Also, since this driver also new and not ready, will it brick the hardware by anychance ?.

Beans
    Distro

since this driver also new and not ready, will it brick the hardware by anychance ?
    While anything is theoretically possible, I highly doubt it. I have never seen it in my brief career.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I want to confirm that the wifi works in Ubuntu 14.10 (I am running the beta version) on the "Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter" which is what people are having issues with for the lenovo t440s

Beans

Confirmed: I did the 14.10 update and it now works. Thank you to the folks who made this happen.

Beans

That is interesting. Which kernel versions are you guys using? Is the r8192ee module in use?

Under Ubuntu 14.04 with custom kernel 3.16.2-031602-generic and the drivers from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/ I cannot get the wireless to work properly (random disconnections, low speed, system freezes).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by damianonly View Post
    That is interesting. Which kernel versions are you guys using? Is the r8192ee module in use?

Under Ubuntu 14.04 with custom kernel 3.16.2-031602-generic and the drivers from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/ I cannot get the wireless to work properly (random disconnections, low speed, system freezes).
    The latest kernel in 14.10 is:
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    3.16.0-23-generic
    Did you try the upgrade?

There are three branches at the github. Which did you try? (Hint, hint!)

Beans

Did you try the upgrade?
    No I haven't. My first idea was to wait till the 14.10 release became a bit stable, but what the hell, I'm running an experimental kernel with experimental drivers under ubuntu 14.04, so I might as well give 14.10 a try.

There are three branches at the github. Which did you try? (Hint, hint!)
    I overlooked that! I tried only the master branch. I could give the other ones a try, though I wouldn't know which one to use. The ``troy`` branch seems to be the one used by the Realtek engineer, so it may be ondergoing heavy development.

Beans
    Distro

I would try both. The nice thing about compiling from source code is that, until you 'sudo make install,' everything is a trial run confined to the folder where you are running 'make.' You can see if you get errors or warnings before you install. You can even install it, reboot and try it and, if it's unsatisfactory, 'sudo make uninstall.'

kernel-version builds with one small warning on my 14.10 system. I haven't the device, so I can test no further.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I would try both. The nice thing about compiling from source code is that, until you 'sudo make install,' everything is a trial run confined to the folder where you are running 'make.' You can see if you get errors or warnings before you install. You can even install it, reboot and try it and, if it's unsatisfactory, 'sudo make uninstall.'

kernel-version builds with one small warning on my 14.10 system. I haven't the device, so I can test no further.
    I'll try first the other two branches, and if that does not work I'll upgrade to 14.10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast