Thread: i855 chipset runs Google Earth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i855 chipset runs Google Earth

Background
    Getting a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S114 working was not without problems as described below earlier. Booting with nomodeset then using the Glasen PPA Intel driver 855gm-fix-dkms package gave a working system. The issue is the i855 and similar graphics chipsets, found on my and others by now rather dated laptops.
    here

Upgraded to 12.04 and Google Earth stopped working, crashing after about 10 seconds. The regular Ubuntu updates continued to throw up error messages about the 855gm-fix-dkms package, it being third party software etc. Running any version of Google Earth again on my laptop seemed unlikely.

My thanks go to Saurav Kumar on askubuntu.com for his posting in August 2013 reporting his experiences of moving to the Raring Ringtail kernel.

In Synaptic I installed-
    linux-generic-lts-raring (3.8.0.35.35)
    linux-headers-3.8.0-35 (3.8.0-35.50~precise1)
    linux-headers-3.8.0-35-generic (3.8.0-35.50~precise1)
    linux-headers-generic-lts-raring (3.8.0.35.35)
    linux-image-3.8.0-35-generic (3.8.0-35.50~precise1)
    linux-image-generic-lts-raring (3.8.0.35.35)

Remove Glasen PPA and Authentication Key.
    Remove 855gm-fix-dkms package (this process took several minutes here)

reboot

In the terminal install
    sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring libxatracker1-lts-raring xserver-xorg-core-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-evdev-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-mouse-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-wacom-lts-raring xserver-xorg-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-ati-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-cirrus-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-mach64-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-mga-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-modesetting-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-neomagic-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-r128-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-s3-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-savage-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-sis-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-sisusb-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-tdfx-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-trident-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-vesa-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-raring libxrandr-ltsq2 x11-xserver-utils-lts-raring xserver-common-lts-raring

reboot

I can run Google Earth 6.0.3.2197. The fonts aren't the best but the panoramio pictures are displayed unlike on my desktop with GE 7.1.1

DVDs plays OK as does DVB-T under Kaffeine
    There's life in an old laptop still.

Edit: For reasons I don't understand the Google Earth Search feature here works, some still using GE6 lost this feature and have to update or delete lib.so.4. Currently with GE7 the search fuction works but you're likely to have no panoramio pictures. I will post elsewhere on the Forum my experiences with libcurl etc. on my others PCs.
    Last edited by Handssolow; January 12th, 2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added information

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: i855 chipset runs Google Earth

Thanks for posting.
    If you mark the thread "solved" there's a better chance that people find your advice.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts