Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good-bye Ubuntu, going back to Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Good-bye Ubuntu, going back to Windows

Well, good. We're entering a golden age of OSes -- I run Windows 7 dual-boot with Ubuntu, and boot using USB to Android x86 or Puppy or TAILS. And sometimes I use an old Mac. This is not to brag, but just to point out that there's a lot of room to play. When SteamOS comes out maybe you'll find your Linux experience stands you in good stead.

Frankly, the experience of staring at a Windows box hung on a boot screen after an Update Tuesday motivated me to move to Ubuntu for most purposes. It's a huge relief to know that if my laptop OS glitches I can boot to another OS and go online to find an answer.

You might consider keeping a USB stick with Ubuntu or Puppy handy, and make sure your BIOS lets you boot from it when you really need to!

And yes, good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Good bye and good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

+1 Agree with using what suits your needs.
    I'm learning Ubuntu, but I know at this point I cannot leave Windows 100% behind. I have at least 2 programs that absolutely will not reliably run on a Linux platform (yet.......) so until they do I'm stuck with windows for them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soluckytouselinux View Post
    i have used Ubuntu for about 5 years now. I am just tired of everything that I want to do, I can't do it. Simple things, like install a game, upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu, ect. ALL fail. I'm just tired of fighting just to do simple things. I volunteer at a community centre and they have pc's that people can use for free. I have been talking to the director, and trying to get him to start using Linux when Windows XP goes off line. I', just going to suggest that he stick with Windows. I have friends of mine who have bought new pc's with Windows 7 on them. I thought that they would be calling me for help. They rarely call. I have way more problems they do.
    I have sang the praises of Ubuntu for many years. Now I suggest to my friends that their best bet is to save some money and go out and buy a Windows machine. Thanx anyway for the help. I hope good things for Ubuntu. I believe that Linux will always be a second seat to Windows.
    Use what makes you happy. That's the only thing that really matters. Good Luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Use what makes you happy. That's the only thing that really matters. Good Luck!
    This. I use Windows for games/photoshop/whatever and Linux for my web/mail servers and for testing changes before pushing them to production.

Use what works for you.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It seems to me that users who attempt a return to Windows, are quickly disinchanted, and come back to Linux sooner than later.

Beans

I believe that Linux will always be a second seat to Windows.
    Dont't be daft, it will become the other way around, in fact, it already is :

https://www.virtualbox.org/

This is the best of the best of virtual machines running on Linux iron. In fact i use
    a virtual box machine with Windows XP to flash my Samsung phone :

Beans

I enjoy that Ubuntu is easy to upgrade and update. It is able to improve at a quicker rate than what Windows can with it's upgrade schedule.
    In my opinion, Ubuntu just continues to improve. Windows is know to have a switch between good and poor OS's. Windows ME was poor, XP was great, then Vista didn't turn out so great, then 7 was better than Vista.
    I also enjoy the freedom that Ubuntu allows you to have more options with what you want to do with your OS. With windows you're basically stuck with what they give you, with not much wiggle room.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@rmstock2: Please attach large images rather than inserting them in the body of your posts. Spare a thought for those with slow connections and vision issues.

You can click 'Go Advanced' and use the paper clip icon to attach pics. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben_Williams View Post
    Windows is know to have a switch between good and poor OS's. Windows ME was poor, XP was great, then Vista didn't turn out so great, then 7 was better than Vista.
    meh not really. it seems Vista and ME were the only real flops. WinXP was crappy on beginning but improved nicely abotu 3 or 4 years later. win98SE was also quite good. win95 also good for the time as well as 3.11. i remember runnign Red hat in dual boot with win98 and win98 was looking and acting better at the time (minus the virus issues).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast