Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good-bye Ubuntu, going back to Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Good-bye Ubuntu, going back to Windows

i have used Ubuntu for about 5 years now. I am just tired of everything that I want to do, I can't do it. Simple things, like install a game, upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu, ect. ALL fail. I'm just tired of fighting just to do simple things. I volunteer at a community centre and they have pc's that people can use for free. I have been talking to the director, and trying to get him to start using Linux when Windows XP goes off line. I', just going to suggest that he stick with Windows. I have friends of mine who have bought new pc's with Windows 7 on them. I thought that they would be calling me for help. They rarely call. I have way more problems they do.
    I have sang the praises of Ubuntu for many years. Now I suggest to my friends that their best bet is to save some money and go out and buy a Windows machine. Thanx anyway for the help. I hope good things for Ubuntu. I believe that Linux will always be a second seat to Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Good-bye Ubuntu, going back to Windows

Not a support request. Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Were your upgrade attempts from a *stock* configuration? An upgrade of any OS on a system that has been altered from the baseline will be problematic. Software isn't clairvoyant. On Ubuntu, in particular, PPA's need to be purged and their packages removed and reverted to the originals, if any, from official repos. Manually installed files, including drivers, will be unknown to the updater and that may, or may not, cause trouble.

Enjoy Windows, though.

Beans

Good luck with Windows.

You must have had a reason to be a Linux user and leave Windows behind. If the reasons and priorities have changed, and Windows is satisfying your current requirements/priorities better, there is nothing wrong with changing sides.

A software is meant to meet requirements and decisions based on values alone can't hold for long anyway.

My main reason to switch to Linux was flexibility and freedom of doing things the way I wanted. Speed and zero-cost were additional bonus. Those reasons still stand and so I still like Linux a lot more than any other OS.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

^^^^^

How many times were you upgrading over the 5 years. There is a reason they have LTS versions. It is recommended that the average person stick with those as I understand it. Although granted I am new to Ubuntu coming from Debian recently. (Just want more updated software than Deb stable). But you have to do what works best for your needs at the given moment. Is why I switched to linux in the first place.

Beans

My reason for switching from Windows to GNU/Linux was mainly because I agree with the philosophy of "free software".

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by soluckytouselinux View Post
    ... save some money and go out and buy a Windows machine.

? Ubuntu is free so doesn't make sense. The machine is the same price whether you buy it and then put Ubuntu on it or not.

As mentioned, sounds like the LTS releases would have been for you (apologies if you stuck to them all along and still had these problems, but that would be hard to believe). Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 7th, 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I believe that Linux will always be a second seat to Windows.
    Of course, because people want it handed to them instead of working for it. I myself am learning the Command Line and figure in a year or two people will be coming to me with Linux problems as they now do with Windows and Mac. But I realize (and embrace the fact) that I have to work at learning a new system first.
    "Been thinkin' about IT!
    IT being something totally undefinable..." (Van Morrison)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soluckytouselinux View Post
    i have used Ubuntu for about 5 years now. I am just tired of everything that I want to do, I can't do it. Simple things, like install a game, upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu, ect. ALL fail. .
    Only 42 beans after 5 years? If you ask more questions I am sure you will get more help.

I saw your other threads, installing a game is indeed simple, but maybe steam is a bit buggy as it is so new. Also, "upgrading" with update manager has always been a bit problematic and you need to keep your system in very pristine state (e.g no steam as it is not in the repo) It is a lot faster and safer if you keep a separate /home and reinstall the OS (though lately I heard you can upgrade with the live usb and it works like fresh install, but never try it)

How do you "upgrade" in Windows? I have read horror story of just upgrading sp2 to sp3 for XP. Many people never upgrade (still using XP) Many people 'upgrade' their OS by simply buying a new computer come preinstalled with a newer version. OEM helps a long way for smooth user experience (and also bundled crapware), it doesn't take me 5 years to figure that out.

P.S. If Windows is so smooth and peachy there wouldn't be a whole industry for supporting, servicing and fixing Windows. Who do you think take their broken OSes to the PC repair guy and contribute to GDP growth? Not likely your Linux geeks.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 7th, 2014 at 07:32 PM.

Beans

If Windows is a solution that fits your needs better than Ubuntu, and you're happy with it, then that's fine and I wish you the best of luck. I am a Windows convert, and justified my switch because of lower costs and open-source alternatives. You really do have to invest time into learning this stuff and have to be active in doing so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast