Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome tab notifications do not work

Beans

Chrome tab notifications do not work

Hello
    As you probably now in Windows when using Chrome and you get email in Gmail or you get Facebook notification, then that tab has highlighted moving effect so you can see you get new notification.

But since I installed Ubuntu 13.10 this does not work, and I couldn't find how to do it. Any idea how to make it work again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Chrome tab notifications do not work

I do not know about Windows, but I never got that on Ubuntu. The tab has a little number that shows up when I get a new email in gmal for ex, but not any effect.
    You should check the notification settings under both gmail (settings > general) and FB (I do not have it open, guess you can find it ).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I do not know about Windows, but I never got that on Ubuntu. The tab has a little number that shows up when I get a new email in gmal for ex, but not any effect.
    You should check the notification settings under both gmail (settings > general) and FB (I do not have it open, guess you can find it ).
    Okay I enabled some notification in gmail and now I get a pop up when email arrives. It's good, but still pop up disappears after few seconds and if I am not at computer I won't see it. For FB I got everything enabled, but nothing appears on the tab itself

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm. In Chrome > Settings > Privacy > Content settings, there is an item for notifications.
    Other than that, I've ran out of ideas (and did not find anything interesting).
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Hmm. In Chrome > Settings > Privacy > Content settings, there is an item for notifications.
    Other than that, I've ran out of ideas (and did not find anything interesting).
    Thank you sir. I enabled that as well (was disabled before) but no difference, no notification that I get new event in FB or gmail, apart from gmail pop-up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please try with the pinned tab feature. Right click on the tab (gmail for ex) and pin it. You can undo by right click and unpin. Once done, all the pinned tabs will be on the left with only their logo on it. Any new tab opened will be place right of all pinned tabs. As the number of unread new content is not shown on pinned tabs, they should flicker to show notifications. Trying it right now, waiting for some new mail to see if it woks

Edit : it works. The tab is highlighted and flickers but does not move or bounce.
    Last edited by bapoumba; January 13th, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Please try with the pinned tab feature. Right click on the tab (gmail for ex) and pin it. You can undo by right click and unpin. Once done, all the pinned tabs will be on the left with only their logo on it. Any new tab opened will be place right of all pinned tabs. As the number of unread new content is not shown on pinned tabs, they should flicker to show notifications. Trying it right now, waiting for some new mail to see if it woks

Edit : it works. The tab is highlighted and flickers but does not move or bounce.
    Really? I always have some of the tabs pinned in Chrome, like Gmail, but they never flicker or do any kind of animation when new notification comes. That only worked on Windows for me, but since I installed Ubuntu it's gone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Chromium Version 31.0.1650.63 Ubuntu 13.10 (31.0.1650.63-0ubuntu0.13.10.1~20131204.1) here.
    One more thing, the tab stays pinned after closing and reopening the browser, or after a reboot.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Chromium Version 31.0.1650.63 Ubuntu 13.10 (31.0.1650.63-0ubuntu0.13.10.1~20131204.1) here.
    One more thing, the tab stays pinned after closing and reopening the browser, or after a reboot.
    Chrome version 31.0.1650.63, Ubuntu 13.10

And yep, it always stays pinned, that's the whole point

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sladeinflame7 View Post
    Chrome version 31.0.1650.63, Ubuntu 13.10

And yep, it always stays pinned, that's the whole point
    Well, yes, but looking around the internetz about your question, I saw there were discussions regarding the tab not staying pinned for some. I'm quite surprised it works here and not for you. Do you allow javascript ?
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast