Thread: merging html files with wget

Beans

merging html files with wget

Hi all,

With the command:

Code:
    wget -i list.txt --recursive --convert-links --page-requisites --html-extension --restrict-file-names=windows --no-clobber
    I am able to get html files for each URL contained in list.txt. But what If want only one big html file for each URL?

I know that with the option -O file wget can merge files but how can I do it for each URL separately?

How can I use the --domains option in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: merging html files with wget

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums nickeforos !

By looking at the man page of wget, it seems there is no internal option in it to do what you want, and so you must loop the wget command on the URLs individually.

For example, assuming your URL list file contains one URL per line, you can run the following loop -
    Code:
    count=1; while read URL; do wget --recursive --convert-links --page-requisites --html-extension --restrict-file-names=windows --no-clobber -O file-$count "$URL"; let count=count+1; done < list.txt
    The above code should merge each URL's corresponding data in "file-<the URL's line no. in the list file>", (e.g. file-1, file-2, file-3... etc.). If you need a more meaningful name for each file, a relevant function to do that can be included in the loop (along with a function to make sure no files are overwritten in case of duplicate names).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.